How can I create a question where leaving the field empty is the correct response.

janellmadonna
janellmadonna Community Member, Lectora® Accessibility Group (LAUG) Member, eLearning Brothers® Partner Posts: 6 ☆ Roadie ☆
I would like to have a fill-in-the-blank graded question that allows for no entry (or blank) to be correct. The question is, "If a modifier for the assistant surgeon is applicable, enter it here." I know I could add additional text instruction to say, if none, enter none - but am hoping there is a way to do the "blank" as a correct response. Oh- using L21.

Best Answer

• timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,222 ♦ Idol ♦
    Answer ✓
    It's not possible to have blank / empty as the correct answer but you can easily set the questions variable to a correct answer if it's empty.

Give the question a correct answer, e.g. "None".

Then use a Modify variable action:

Target: Question_0001 (use your questions variable)
    Type: Set equal to
    Value: "None"

Add a condition:
    Only IF "Question_0001" is empty.

Put the action in a suitable place, e.g. the check button.

Empty/Blank is now a correct answer, but entering "None" is also correct.

Answers

• CarlJFink
    CarlJFink Community Member, Lectora® Accessibility Group (LAUG) Member, eLearning Brothers® Partner Posts: 67 ☆ Superstar ☆
    You could (should) make the "correct answer you don't want" something no one would ever type, such as "The correct answer I don't want." :)
  • janellmadonna
    janellmadonna Community Member, Lectora® Accessibility Group (LAUG) Member, eLearning Brothers® Partner Posts: 6 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Thank you -