eLBX Online 2021 | June 22 - 24

Join us for a FREE, 3-day virtual conference featuring industry experts and eLearning thought leaders. Learn about critical topics such as eLearning accessibility, learning experience design, course authoring, virtual reality, and gamification. Register today!
CHECK IT OUT

SEARCH BOX

aveney3170
aveney3170 Community Member Posts: 6
Hello everyone,

I am creating a course that will have a lot of branching. think of it as a dictionary but for acronyms. We'll have company wide acronyms, acronyms by division, plant, department, job title/code etc.  I would like to include some type of search bar where it'll take you exactly to that acronyms page without having to go through the headache of clicking on 7 buttons before the acronyms meaning and description is displayed. I want it to be as simple and user friendly as possible. Is there a way to create a google-like search box and just type in the letters and generate the possible pages displaying the answer by those categories mentioned above?

Comments

• carlfink
    carlfink Community Member Posts: 879 ♦ Idol ♦
    I'm not sure Lectora (or e-learning) is the ideal tool for this purpose, actually. Why not just develop a web page with links to all the definitions?
  • smiller7502
    smiller7502 Community Member Posts: 181
    @CarlFink, I don't disagree -- but I followed this topic because a search box like this would be useful anyway, no? Especially in longer courses that a learner might take parts of at different times, wouldn't it be cool to be able to search an entire course for a word or phrase?
  • aveney3170
    aveney3170 Community Member Posts: 6
    I didn't think to do that, I've done research on how to incorporate JavaScript into Lectora all day today and I guess I will see how it goes. I know if it's possible it will take a lot of variables so a web page may be the easier route to take.
  • mnotermans5114
    mnotermans5114 Community Member Posts: 916
    As i succesfully implemented the Google Translate API at some point using an external HTML-object, i am quite sure you can do the same with the Google Search API.

This might be a start.
    https://developers.google.com/api-client-library/javascript/samples/samples
  • carlfink
    carlfink Community Member Posts: 879 ♦ Idol ♦
    @Math, wouldn't the Google Search API be irrelevant, because Google can't index the elearning (since it is only available when you log into the LMS)? Even if the API lets you cause a Google index task to launch on demand, the URL of the course would not be predictable, would it? So even if Google indexes the course, that index would not relate to the new URL generated when the next person launches it? I don't know the Search API, so maybe there's a way to work around that?