Storing test results on outside database

oglesbay
oglesbay Community Member, Lectora® Accessibility Group (LAUG) Member, eLearning Brothers® Partner Posts: 2 ☆ Roadie ☆
Good morning. I created a nice cardiac test for the nurses at our hospital and they have been using it for years now. It is time for an upgrade and one of the requests is for educators to be able to see who gets what score, or at least what is answered correctly vs incorrectly. Do any of you know of a way to have the test results and other variables passed over to a database somewhere? Thank you for any insights to point me in the right direction.

Best Answer

• cainam
    cainam Community Member Posts: 361 ♦ Idol ♦
    Accepted Answer
    I have done some work with this before. In my case I'm submitting a Form (vs test results), but you would do this the same way for a Test. [I'm using a form in a web 'Toolkit' I built in Lectora that hospitals use to implement a particular initiative (like Bedside Shift Report), and we want them to rate their adoption of the pieces of that Toolkit, and we like to see how the adoption of the system is doing overall.]

The results get sent to Google Drive. (On the Form properties in Lectora: Submit Form is checked, and Google Drive is selected as the location to submit to. (There is also the option to submit using a custom script.) You could stop there, and then gather your data and report out on your results periodically. I take it one step further so that I can set this up once, and then view the current results in another fantastic online platform called Smartsheet. (there is a Smartsheet to Google connector on the Smartsheet side. So the content travels from my module to Google Drive, then automatically to Smartsheet). This allows me to set up access for site/system leadership to view the status of different locations/units on the adoption of the toolkit and compare adoption rates from site to site. I think there is more I could do with this given the time to focus more on it, so not saying this is necessarily the best way to do this, but I think it works pretty well. Others may have a cleaner approach, but I think the basis is using one of the two links above to get started.

There is a guy that makes a plugin you can add into your Lectora module (library object), that can do all this for you (if you've got the $$ for an annual subscription), and reports out much more of your learner interaction of your module to a platform that does all the leg work for you and displays the results. (Called a LIMS if I remember correctly [Learner Interaction Monitoring System]. I looked into it a while back, but didn't have the funds for it.)

I also started looking into a way to use SharePoint Online as the database to report back to, but didn't have the time to investigate further. (Another member had done that in the past to an on premise SharePoint).
    - Adam Cain

Answers

• carlfink
    carlfink Community Member Posts: 945 ♦ Idol ♦
    If you're using an LMS, you should be able to see the results of any quiz by checking the appropriate option on the Publish dialog.
  • oglesbay
    oglesbay Community Member, Lectora® Accessibility Group (LAUG) Member, eLearning Brothers® Partner Posts: 2 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Unfortunately, we are using HealthStream as an LMS and it does not really have that much towards scorm packages. We're moving to Workday Learning, but until then we need to have a place to be able to see all tests in one place, instead of opening one at a time in an LMS, so we can run analysis reports.
  • oglesbay
    Thanks Adam for your response. I will research submitting a form and see where I can connect it. Our organization uses Microsoft for everything, so I'll see if there is a way to use SharePoint or other tools to capture the data.
  • cainam
    cainam Community Member Posts: 361 ♦ Idol ♦
    We are also in a similar setup/situation. Microsoft Office 365 for just about everything and Healthstream. I remember I wasn't overly optimistic about getting the results reported to SharePoint Online directly based on security-type settings.

If you are comfortable using Microsoft Power Automate (previously called 'Flow', that might be an option with some good possibilities. Submit the form to Google Drive from your Lectora Module, then set up a flow that takes the information automatically from a Sheet in Google drive, and copy to a SharePoint List or similar?
    - Adam Cain