Accessibility Simultaneous Text Blocks on MouseClick

web-foley
web-foley Community Member Posts: 44 ♪ Opening Act ♪
Mouse Click text block show, when there is more that one text block to reveal - works in some circumstances. Read by JAWS.

How It's been able to work Scenario:
Page with 3 buttons, as each button is clicked, each show their appropriate text block (else hide). Once all have been clicked, a variable condition will be met and show a final text message. Originally, it would skip the last selected pop-up text as when there are two Show text blocks actions set simultaneously, it will only read the final message. However, placing a 0.5 second delay on the final reveal text block (the one set to Show once the variable sees that all three buttons have been clicked) the screen reader appropriate saw and read them both. Yay!

But this method did not working when applied to a Question Submit button (although definitely was working last year prior to updating to Lectora 19.0.4)

Not working (anymore) Scenario:
Multiple choice single answer. 3 choices. On Submit there are 2 text blocks to show. A text block that populates feedback pulled from a variable depending on the outcome (for simplicity, let's say Correct, Try again and Incorrect type responses stored as a var for consistency, ease of translation and maintenance), and then a corresponding explanation text block that only appears when the learner is incorrect.

One would think that using the same method would produce the same result. But it does not. Example: On Submit Mouse Click.
  • Set text of initially hidden "Feedback" to "correctvaluetext" if (correct) else set text to...
  • Show Feedback
  • Disable Submit
  • Show Explanation text (delay 1sec) if not correct
Depending on how I order/trigger the feedback(s) it will only read one or the other now, but not both. Odd that it's the same method but one doesn't work, perhaps it's how Lectora is rendering the code for the page that contains a question... it seems to be the only difference. Ideas?

Darrell.

Answers

• wheels
    wheels Community Member, Administrator, Moderator, Rockstar Manager Posts: 518 eLearning ROCKSTAR Admin Team
    Interesting. Do you have a copy of the course published before v19.0.4 where it works? I am curious if you have it pinpointed to that level of detail. If you do, and can share the published output with support we would greatly appreciate it.

One thing you might try is adding a delay also to the show feedback action (say 0.5) and then put an on show action on the feedback text to show the explanation text (conditionally) with a 0.5 delay (essentially moving the show action for the explanation text specified above)

The issue here is getting the screen reader to notice the change and not be interrupted with the next show until it has started reading. Hopefully this will help.
  • web-foley
    web-foley Community Member Posts: 44 ♪ Opening Act ♪
    Thanks for the reply. Testing this out to whip up a demo (cannot share my client's course) I'm a bit concerned at the inconsistency in readable screen-reader playback, sometimes the button reveal reads, other times no. But inconsistent behaviour via the Lectora Question Creator too.
    The course made in L18 last year went through some rigorous testing with our Accessibility partners to verify that the delay show enabled two text boxes to be picked up and an update to L19.0.4 seems to have messed that up. I no longer have L18 to produce another demo in that version.
    (similar demo attached)
    -Darrell