Register for our next webinar, 5 Keys to Unlock Storytelling in Your eLearning, where you'll learn how to unlock the magic of storytelling in your eLearning development to increase learner engagement and retention! Join Andrew Townsend, our Campaign Marketing Manager, on Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 11:00 AM MDT.

Be The First On Your Block to Rock Lectora® 21!

Apply for exclusive early access to the latest version of Lectora® Desktop v21. Seating is limited so make sure you apply now!

How many degrees of freedom?

rprice-5507rprice-5507 Community Member Posts: 4
Hi all.

I had a question today from a colleague who asked how many degrees of freedom CenarioVR supports. I have a feeling it's only 3 so works well on the older headsets but wondered if it supports 6 degrees of freedom on the Oculus Quest 2 for instance? If not, a new feature request perhaps :-)

Thanks, Richard

Comments

• johnbjohnb Community Member Posts: 295 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Equirectangular images and videos are natively 3DOF, which is the base scene format for CenarioVR, so it is 3DOF. The media itself does not have information to allow for 6DOF movement within it.
  • carlfinkcarlfink Community Member Posts: 650 ✶ Headliner ✶
    John, you could allow for a zoom function within an equirectangular image (not video), which would partially simulate 6DOF, yes?
  • johnbjohnb Community Member Posts: 295 ☆ Roadie ☆
    We refer to that as 3DOF+, which in a headset would give the appearance of slight movement by zooming in multiple directions when moving the headset in 3D space, The issue, of course, is that things would get blurrier as you get closer rather than crisper, kind of ruining the 6DOF effect. It can be done but needs to allow for only small movements.

It is something on the roadmap, but its quite a ways out, and with all of the changes going on in the space we try not to set expectations as to when it will be released.

• rprice-5507rprice-5507 Community Member Posts: 4
    Thanks John as always for coming back to me so quickly! Good to understand the limitations and where the product is potentially headed. I was thinking along the same lines as Carl was suggesting where we could emulate 6dof by allowing zoom within a standard image/video. It sounds like it may be a possibility in the future perhaps? Thanks again.

Richard
  • carlfinkcarlfink Community Member Posts: 650 ✶ Headliner ✶
    I should have known you'd be ahead of me, John. Thanks (as Richard says) for being so responsive. Also, nice job in your DDX presentation.
  • AndrewTownsendAndrewTownsend Administrator Posts: 16 eLearning ROCKSTAR Stage Manager
    @rprice-5507 I'm curious, if you were to deploy on Quest 2, how many headsets would you have for your learners? I take courses on my personal Quest 1 because I have access to it, but find most people are taking VR courses on a cardboard or something more affordable to scale. Not to say that deploying on Quest is 'wrong', just curious how you'd do it. Obviously Quest and other headsets are a much more immersive experience, but they're difficult to scale as I understand it.
    Andrew Townsend | Campaign Marketing Manger
    eLearning Brothers