Chrome - Full Screen Video Error

Comments

• broeme
    broeme Community Member Posts: 94 ♪ Opening Act ♪
    Tea - Yep, I do.  However during my various testing yesterday, I removed the captions and republished.  The error persisted.
  • broeme
    Update...I started a new course using the "Create New Title" and then selected the "Accessibility" option.  This title has a video in it with captions enabled, and is configured to Use Web Accessibility Settings .  I published the course (using v18.0.2) and uploaded to SCORM.  When I reach the video page and attempt to go full screen, I get the same result in Chrome.  Both the course and LMS window crash with the messages I included earlier in the screen shots.

If I republish this course to use the seamless player (that's the only change...no modifications to the content), full screen video in Chrome works just fine!
  • tea
    tea Community Member Posts: 128
    Thanks Brian, I can try to recreate on scorm using this this title now. Under the HTML options, can you tell me which options you have set?  And you get this error on you desktop also, correct?
  • broeme
    Sure thing...attached are the HTML tab settings I used.

Regarding your question about the desktop.  If you mean publishing to an web-only format and testing locally, I haven't done that yet, but happy to do so.  If desktop refers to my laptop (versus a mobile device), then yes, I've replicated this issue on various Windows machines at multiple locations and networks.

I got permission to import my customer's prototype course to SCORM Cloud and share it with the dev forum.  I'll get on that asap and share some login credentials.
  • broeme
    Here are the credentials to the prototype.  Once logged in, the "Ask for Time to Talk" course is the one you'll launch.  This course was published with the Web Accessible setting enabled, thus no seamless player.  If time permits for a test, I'll be curious to see if your Chrome browser is able to go full screen on the video page.

URL: http://cloud.scorm.com
    ID: [email protected]
    PWD: time2demo!
  • tea
    Yes, by desktop I was meaning not a mobile device. Thanks for the html settings
  • tea
    Brian, I was able to reproduce the crash with your html options. I'll follow with development on this and post back here with updates
  • carlfink
    carlfink Community Member Posts: 817 ☆ Superstar ☆
    Crashes in Chromium (the open source core of Chrome) on Linux, too. Not obvious why, at least to me. The Chrome JavaScript Console shows nothing when the crash happens. I would suspect the problem is a bug in Chrome. I'd report the problem to the Chromium project, or Google. Maybe via http://bugs.chromium.org?

Brian, you mentioned trying a different player. The JS player I use was very kindly hacked by Darrel Somoza here: https://community.trivantis.com/forums/topic/full-screen-video-via-javascript/

As mentioned upthread, for reasons I don't yet know it won't maximize if, and only if, the course is AICC and launched from an LMS. Clicking the maximize button has no effect. (On Firefox I can right-click and go full-screen, but Chrome/Chromium does not allow this.)  If I publish as HTML maximization works fine. No clue what's up with that. I haven't tested anything but AICC and HTML (no SCORM, no xAPI, etc.). I can't test maximizing because ... I can't maximize.

One advantage of testing this: you could put diagnostic code in the JavaScript, since you control it. This would at least let you identify what line is causing the crash.
  • broeme
    Carl - Thanks my friend.  You've given me some weekend reading!
  • tea
    Brian, I opened a bug on the issue and we have development looking into this. Hoping to have something for our upcoming release.  Thanks for the info to help me reproduce the error
  • broeme
    Thanks man.  I appreciate you guys scanning the forum and tackling these issues.  If accepted as a bug and assigned a number, how might I track it?
  • tea
    I can update this forum with any info, the intended release number, and the time frame of that release. Once the release comes out it will be in the release notes.
  • carlfink
    Brian, you appear to be thinking of how open source projects track bugs. Lectora is very much proprietary software.
  • carlfink
    Well, I just tried inserting a video into a course using the Lectora player today, and yes, it crashes on maximize in Chrome (only), but only when in AICC or SCORM format and launched from a server, not locally. If I publish to HTML and put the files on an IIS server I have access to, maximize does not cause the crash. What the?

Works fine in IE11, the only other browser I have here at work.

Edit: I went into the Chrome debugger and turned on breakpoints, then stepped through the entire process of maximizing one JS command at a time. It doesn't crash when stepping through, naturally. Frustrating.
  • klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    Carl is the video you are adding a link to a file on another server or local?
  • broeme
    Can't speak for Carl's test, but I can say that I replicated the Chrome full screen crash using both a URL video link and a local video file.
  • carlfink
    I only tried it with a local video. (Local to the HTML files--of course it was being served by a web server when launched from the LMS.)
  • carlfink
    Today maximizing works normally. I suspect the a Chrome release fixed this bug. Of course when I went to check my version, Chrome updated again. Google is getting ridiculous with this stuff.
  • broeme
    Carl - Interesting result!  I verified my baseline issue using my previous version of Chrome.  Same blow up on video max.  I then updated Chrome to what I assume is the very latest version <b>73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)</b>  If I try to update again, it says Chrome is up to date.

Now, instead of an error, the maximized video just goes black.  I can hear the audio of the video, but the screen is blank.  I can hit Esc and return to windowed video just fine.  I guess this is a step in the right direction, but still doesn't have the full functionality I need.
  • heidi
    heidi Community Member Posts: 72 ☆ Roadie ☆
    We are having the same issue across most browsers...does anyone know if Trivantis is working on a fix? Thanks, Heidi
  • heidi
    heidi Community Member Posts: 72 ☆ Roadie ☆
    WOOPS, meant to say in CHROME only.
  • broeme
    Morning Heidi.  Yep, Tea was able to replicate the crash and reported a bug on the issue.  Lectora development is looking into it, but it's not clear if/when a fix might be released.  Tea said this thread will be updated with any new info or status.

Have you tried updating your Chrome?  I only ask because after I updated my Chrome yesterday, the error changed.  Instead of crashing, I just get a black screen when going full screen video.  I think Carl stated the Chrome update fixed his issue.
  • tea
    Our developer opened an issue on Chrome, and provided them with a link to see the crash. They reproduced it and have been looking at it. We are letting them know that their latest update has not not resolved the issue
  • scoggins
    scoggins Administrator, Rockstar Manager Posts: 22 eLearning ROCKSTAR Admin Team
    SOLUTION

The Trivantis team had identified this as an issue with Chrome browser and submitted a bug report.
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=941501

Chrome reports that this issue is resolved in Chrome version 73 and suggests checking for updates here: chrome://settings/help
  • ddraper2728
    ddraper2728 Community Member Posts: 2
    I checked and now have Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I launched the course in Chrome and selected Full Screen....that works....except the screen is Black with no video and the audio works.

Same Course works fine in IE 11.09