Chrome - Full Screen Video Error

broeme
broeme Community Member Posts: 94 ♪ Opening Act ♪
I'm building an accessible course with v18 and experiencing browser crashes in Chrome.  The crash happens on a video page when clicking the full screen option in the player controller.  Full screen works perfectly in Edge, IE, Firefox and Safari on multiple devices.  Chrome appears to be the only browser affected.

My course is accessible, so the seamless player option is disabled.  If I disable the Web Accessible setting in the Title Options and publish the course using the seamless player (no other changes to the course content), the problem is resolved...full screen in Chrome works just fine.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Could this be a bug with the non-seamless player?

Thanks in advance everyone!

BrianR

Comments

• klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    Is Chrome up to date?
  • klaatu
    If it is on, you might want to try to turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome as well. Its located in the advanced portion of settings under System near the bottom.
  • broeme
    Indeed.  I'm able to replicate the issue using the latest version of Chrome and the previous release.  The issue happens on Chrome for both mobile and PC.

The only exception is if I use my ancient Galaxy Tab 2 (Chrome from 2015).  On that device, full screen works fine.  But, the browser has changed so much in 4 years, it's hardly seems like a valuable test.

BrianR
  • broeme
    I'll reimport the non-seamless course again (testing on SCORM Cloud), and try changing that Hardware acceleration.

BrianR
  • broeme
    Hardware acceleration was enabled in my browser settings.  I disabled it, relaunched the browser and course (non-seamless version), and the crash replicated.
  • carlfink
    carlfink Community Member Posts: 842 ☆ Superstar ☆
    Can you attach the course here?

Do you get any kind of crash message/log?
  • broeme
    Thanks for asking Carl.  I'm not able to attach the course itself as it contains proprietary content that my customer sells.  Perhaps they'd let me attach a stripped down version...I'll check.

The error manifests itself as a total browser crash.  Upon clicking the full screen button in the video controller, the two attached screen shots appear.  The "Course_Window" capture is the child window that displays the course content and "LMS_Window" is the SCORM Cloud window that waits in the background until the course session is over.

I'll be attempting to narrow down the issue further today with some additional version, feature, and setting changes.

BrianR
  • carlfink
    If you press F12, Chrome gives you the Developer tools, which among other things let you see what JavaScript is being executed at the moment of crash. Just a thought. I've found a bug in the Trivantis.js file in the past that way. (I don't even know JavaScript, so you don't need to be an expert.)
  • ddraper2728
    ddraper2728 Community Member Posts: 2
    Same Chrome  Crash issue for the last week.

All other Browsers are working

Chrome is Version 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• broeme
    Hey Dave...thanks for confirming another instance of my issue.  That's the same Chrome version I'm running on my dev laptop.

I thought maybe the issue could be with the v18 non-seamless player.  To test that theory, I pulled a course published with v16.2.2 (pre seamless), one published with v17.1.2 (seamless disabled), and another title published with v17.1.7 (seamless disabled).  These are courses that have worked fine in the past, but today, they all exhibited the same issue.  Attempting to go full screen video in Chrome caused the browser to crash.

I've been able to replicate this Chrome issue on multiple PCs, Android phones, and a Mac (some at completely different locations and on different networks).  Interestingly enough, the latest version of Chrome for iPad and iPhone works just fine!  I was able to successfully go full screen on multiple Apple devices.

So I'm considering the test results above, the fact that all other browsers work fine with my non-seamless courses, and the seamless versions of the courses work perfectly in Chrome.  Thus far, the evidence points to an issue between a recent version of Chrome and any non-seamless course, new or old.
  • klaatu
    I didn't ask but I assume you already tried to clear the browser cache? You might want to also disable chromes sandbox security to see if that makes a difference. How is the video formatted? Does it happen if you replace the video with a known working file?
  • carlfink
    "Interestingly enough, the latest version of Chrome for iPad and iPhone works just fine!  I was able to successfully go full screen on multiple Apple devices." That's because it's Safari. OK, "Chrome" for iOS adds some functionality but Apple, last I heard, doesn't actually allow other browsers on iOS, they just allow other apps to incorporate Safari in a different GUI and add features.

Darrel, since Brian has had the issue on Chrome on multiple devices running different operating systems, cache issues seem an unlikely explanation.
  • broeme
    Darrel - Yep, I've tried a number of browser-related fixes.  Version update, clear cache, disable extensions, reset to defaults, uninstall/reinstall...etc.  Regarding the video file(s) themselves, I use MP4 format and embed it as a local video into Lectora (so I can utilize VTT captions).  During my testing yesterday, I changed the video setting to "Other streaming video" and pointed the video hosted on our webserver.  Changing this setting didn't change the result, Chrome still crashed when clicking full screen.  Similarly, I've tried different videos in my test course same result.

Carl - Thanks for information on "Chrome" for iOS.  That sounds like a very Apple thing to do, and would help explain why full screen works fine on those devices.
  • carlfink
    By the way, using 17.0.6 I can fullscreen video just fine in Chrome 72.0.3626.121. Unless the course is played from an LMS, in which case fullscreen just doesn't work. I'm pretty sure that's a separate issue, though.
  • broeme
    Carl - That's an interesting find.  If you're not running it through an LMS, are you simply hosting the web-only content on a webserver and/or running the HTML locally?  All of the content I create for this customer is intended to run through their LMS and the LMS of their customers, so that piece of the puzzle is critical for me.

I'll be curious to see if Jennifer or another Trivantis moderator picks up on this thread and can share any known issues with the non-seamless player.  Again, all my testing points to some compatibility between non-seamless content and a recent change in Chrome.  Those are the consistent factors present when the full screen crash occurs.
  • tea
    tea Community Member Posts: 128
    Hey Carl, I've been unable to recreate this error. I updated Chrome on my desktop and on one of our Androids and published to scorm, going full screen is working ok for me.  I'll keep trying, but I'll also see if you're able to give a stripped down version of your title. We don't have any known issues related to this crash at this time.
  • broeme
    Tea - Quick question.  When you publish your SCORM content, are you unchecking "Publish for Seamless Play"?  If I leave this value checked, my full screen also works as expected.  For me, the key has been unchecking this value and testing the course when it's using the non-seamless player.  This is when the Chrome full screen issue consistently occurs.

Thanks in advance.
  • tea
    Brian, I set the title up as a WCAG title so that option is disabled.  Do you have any titles (published without Seamless) that do not have this crash, or has every title you tried crashed?
  • broeme
    Thanks for clarifying the WCAG setting and non-seamless.  It's interesting that it works for you.  Are you testing in an LMS?  I only ask because Carl mentioned that one of his v17.0.6 courses works outside an LMS, but when running it through an LMS, continues to fail in Chrome.

During my testing yesterday, I pulled some older SCORM packages published v16.2.2, 17.1.2, and 17.1.7 (without the seamless player).  Thus far, any non-seamless course I've tested on SCORM Cloud exhibits the same issue.  As far I'm aware, all of these courses worked fine in Chrome back at the time of their publish.

I'm going to work with my customer to see how/what I might share with the forum.
  • carlfink
    Tea, I wasn't planning to hijack Brian's thread into discussion of my probably-unrelated issue. I'm using the MediaPlayer.JS player, not the one built into Lectora, for one thing.
  • tea
    I'm testing in scorm cloud, and I was using v18.0.2.  I'll try with v17 also.  I made a pretty basic title, my first page has an MP4. Hopefully you can share your title, or maybe the video(s) you are using.
  • tea
    Carl, my replay was supposed to be for Brian's original post, I just typed your name in by accident. I'm just hoping we can figure out what's causing this
  • broeme
    Cool.  I have an email into them to see what we can do.

In the meantime, I'll probably take your approach.  Start a new, empty title, and create a super simple test course.  I'll slowly add features and functionality relating to the video and see what happens.

Thanks again for the assistance and feedback Tea.
  • broeme
    On a related tangent, I'd be open to using a different player.  Historically, I've been pretty happy with Lectora's built-in player.  It's simple and functions well across multiple LMS and network configs.  But, if there's another player out there that devs have used with consistent success, I wouldn't mind trying it.  Especially if I can use my existing VTT files for closed caption.
  • tea
    Brian, do you have CC on the videos that are crashing?