MP4 does not show in preview mode

mlapl1
mlapl1 Community Member Posts: 349 ☆ Roadie ☆
Hello

I am trying to watch an mp4 movie using Lectora - and then manipulating it in some way - but that is not the issue. The file is large: 2.25 GB in length.

After I compile the title, I try to play it on my laptop, but all I get is voice, not video (although it is saved as mp4 file). The identical video, as saved by Lectora in the media directory, plays normally using VLC. I suspect the problem has something to do with the length of the file. Is there some way of fixing this problem? Note that I have not tried to run this online at all, just in demo mode on my laptop.

Any clues?
Andrew

Comments

• astafford3593
    astafford3593 Community Member Posts: 12
    How will you use the file? We run into issues with our LMS when we have video files over 1 GB on a page. The files have to hosted on an outside content management source and not in the course files for them to play/stream correctly. Not sure if this is your issue, but when I saw the file size it made me think of our issue with large files. Good luck!
  • mlapl1
    Thank you, Abby. Actually, I am quite sure you are right. And I suspect there is no simple solution.
  • mallow76
    mallow76 Community Member Posts: 123
    Yes - the size is crazy. A full HD movie is generally a smaller file size than that. Have you tried to compress / size to required dimensions?
  • mlapl1
    I tried to use the builtin Lectora compression but that did not work either... maybe I need to find a super-compressor of some kind.

Thanks for the advice.
  • mallow76
    mallow76 Community Member Posts: 123
    Have you got Inspire? If so Camtasia has good options for working with / exporting video.
  • mlapl1
    Thanks for the tip @mallow76. Let's see what I can invent.
  • _
    _ Community Member Posts: 84
    Adobe Premiere also has great compression tools - I've been able to take 600-700mb video files and compress them down to 40-50mb without too much quality loss.