Multiple Lectora course translations as one scorm package?

mspermon9445
mspermon9445 Community Member Posts: 5
Hi all,

I'm building a module for a client of mine. This module has to be translated into 5 different languages. My client used another authoring tool in the past. This had the possibility to export different translation into one SCORM package with on the first page a dropdown language selector.

Now i'm searching for a possibility to deliver this same functionality for my Lectora course

Has anyone experience with this or ideas how to do this?

Mark

Comments

• mnotermans5114
    mnotermans5114 Community Member Posts: 916
    Hi Mark,

With Javascript easy enough. Make sure you set your basic language. nl_NL, then a dropdown changing that to us_US, jp_JP or whatever...in the Javascript external files are loaded to change the content on the fly.

Another option for the less javascript savvy is the use of dynamic texts.
    http://trivantis.com/help/Lectora/16/ENG/Lectora_Help/Content/5710.html
    Define the languages you need/want and make sure the dyntitle.xml is present in the different languages.
    dyntitle_nl.xml etc. etc.  You still need to add some if/then statement to change to the needed xml. . javascript too..<i>
    </i>

Regards,
    Math
  • mspermon9445
    Hey Math,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think of the dynamic text option. I will try this

Mark
  • jackgayler
    jackgayler Community Member Posts: 43 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Hi Mark,

Did you manage to get this working? Would love to know the outcome.

Many thanks,

Jack
  • mnotermans5114
    You can also use Google translate Api to realtime translate texts on a page...
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,176 ☆ Superstar ☆
    Google translate to German is usually either poor or unreadable, but if you "feel lucky"...
  • jackgayler
    jackgayler Community Member Posts: 43 ☆ Roadie ☆
    As helpful as Google Translate can be, I wouldn't trust it to translate multiple languages without any mistakes.

In an ideal world, I would want to have a drop-down list of languages, selecting a certain language will:
    • Replace the text HTML with the appropriate language
    • Replace the Publish Strings with the appropriate language
    • If video/audio, replace the media file with the appropriate language
    Our current thinking as a working around is to have multiple versions of 1 module inside 1 title. So selecting the language at the start will take to you the chapter with the correct language:
    • Chapter 1 - English
    • Chapter 2 - German
    • Chapter 3 - French ... and so on
  • mnotermans5114
    That should be manageable with dynamic texts and multiple languages.

If Mark doesnot respond, i will do some tests.
  • mspermon9445
    Hi Jack,

Eventually in consultation with the client we've decided to publish each language as a separate SCORM-package in their LMS.

Regards,

Mark