Different questions for different learners?

cotterpin
cotterpin Community Member Posts: 24 ♪ Opening Act ♪
Hi there,

I was wondering whether anyone may be able to help me? I have 68 questions (divided into six different sections). The learners will need to complete three randomly selected questions from each section - a total of 18 questions. The course is aimed at learners with different levels of experience of the topic. At the beginning of the course they are required to input their level of experience so that they see relevant information to them.

The original set of questions I was given by the subject matter expert were graded according to level of difficulty.

What I would like to do is have a way so that a more experienced learner will see randomly selected questions from the entire set of questions whilst someone with less experience will see randomly selected questions from the questions that have a lower difficulty rating only.

The only way I can see of doing this is to have two tests, one of all the questions and one with the easier questions, and the learners are sent to the relevant test, but is there a more elegant way of doing it?

Best wishes

Stephen

Comments

• timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,176 ☆ Superstar ☆
    I can't imagine a way to display only the easier questions from the full set of questions, esp. in a randomized test.

An alternative way to handle it may be to have two tests, one with the easier questions and the second not with all questions but only the more difficult questions. Then you'll have an assessment with two levels. You could make the more experienced users do both and maybe let the less experienced users decide whether or not they want to try the second level or make them skip the second level. This way you wouldn't have to maintain two sets of the same questions.

In the end you could calculate a score from both tests that includes the experience.
  • cotterpin
    cotterpin Community Member Posts: 24 ♪ Opening Act ♪
    Thanks for this, Tim. In the event I am going to go for the slightly more clunky approach of having two sets of questions and simple branching for the learner to go to the relevant set.