Move Action

approg
approg Community Member Posts: 258 ♪ Opening Act ♪
Recently I've been looking at each and every item on the Lectora UI to see if I know what it does and if it's something new to me, to see if it's "useful".

I'm up to the Move action and the dialog box has a VAR button in the button left corner. Does anyone know what the purpose for this variable is? (The Size action has a similar VAR button.)

I've checked the help file but it didn't help.

Comments

• timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,207 ♦ Idol ♦
    You can use a variable to define the target position or size, instead of entering a single value, so you can calculate the values before moving or move to a position entered by a user etc.
  • mnotermans5114
    mnotermans5114 Community Member Posts: 916
    Both the Lectora Move with Variable as Tim suggests and a more Javascript based approach on a Move show here:
    http://community.trivantis.com/shared-content/sequencing-with-gsap-timelinemax/
  • approg
    On the Move To dialog box there are three VAR buttons. One next to the X position field, one next to the Y position field, and one next to the OK button.

The first two I understand but what does the third one do? If I set a value for the variable for VAR 3 it appears to do nothing to the move. If I check the value after the element has moved the variable value is unchanged.
  • mnotermans5114
    the third one is just for creating a new variable. Which then you can use in the upper 2...

Notice the difference...the upper two have dropdown arrows whereas the third one...has a green + indicating you are adding something...
  • approg
    Math, thanks for that. I need to congratulate the UI designer at Trivantis for that bit of confusing/ambiguous design work. I've spent 45 minutes and 3 posts trying to work out what it's for :-(

It would've been better for them to put a link that read "Create new variable" instead of a button labelled "VAR" (which is typically used to assign a variable to something) or it would've been ideal if they'd added the item "New variable..." to the bottom of the drop down list of variables (like they do elsewhere).
  • mnotermans5114
    ;-) For me it was clear at first sight ;-) Hints give a somewhat better description when you hover over the 'VAR'-button