Setting a quiz to "successfully completed" manually

mlapl1
mlapl1 Community Member Posts: 349
Hello

I have a drag and drop quiz (but it could be any quiz I guess). I would like to be able to set the quiz manually to success or otherwise. I presume that there is a variable which has to be set, but I cannot find it. Any clues?

Thanks

Andrew

Comments

• timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,175 ☆ Superstar ☆
    Each question has a variable like "Question_0001". This variable always contains the users answer to the question or "is empty". You can modify that variable just like any other variable. If you want a DnD question to be correct, set the variable to the correct answer, which (by default) is "1-1,2-2,3-3" if you have 3 matchable pairs.
  • mlapl1
    Hi @timk. Yes I know about the DnD variable. That's a nice workaround in the absence of direct access to the "successful" flag. I am already using that variable to perform various diagnoses but can always work on a copy of it  if necessary.

Thank you for the suggestion.
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,175 ☆ Superstar ☆
    As far as I know, there's no such thing as a question property set to "correct". A question is answered correctly when the answer is correct / the variable contains the correct value.
  • klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    Unless you are looking to track individual answers to questions, which I doubt you are, why can't you just set the quiz score variable (ex. Test_1_Score) to what you want and submit it manually?
  • mlapl1
    Hello Darrel  - thanks for the suggestion.

As it happens,I am using the drag and drop structure not as a quiz but as a front end to enable people to experiment with sentence structures. That does require tracking of individual answers and in these circumstances I would have multiple correct answers  needing specific feedback as well as specific predicted incorrect answers also requiring specific responses. I suppose I can easily set up a dummy right answer which I can set  manually. The reason I am asking how to set the right answer is because I assumed that somewhere there was a flag that was set every time a right answer was recorded - and I have multiple correct answers. I do not want to write an entire scoring system. Having said that,I am just a bit lazy. A scoring system is not that hard to write anyway. AND I want to avoid writing JS - just do it all in native Lectora (which can actually do it).

• klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    Oh, now I think I get it. Your initial question was asking how to set the quiz status manually, not individual question(s). So you have multiple correct answers (which Lectora can't handle natively) for questions which you must record the student's response regardless of the correctness of their answer. You also want to be able to show the correct, or best (since their are multiple) answer(s). Does that sound right?

• mlapl1
    Hi Darrel

Yes :) - Just about right except that there is no best answer necessarily. All correct answers are all equally ok. And both correct answers and predicted incorrect answers may get feedback of some kind. I just wanted a more general drag and drop interface to enable some exploration of various permutations and combinations of words/phrases e.g Q.: Is this a dog? A:(dnd) This is a dog. This is a good dog. This is a very good dog. OR Yes this is a dog. Yes this is a good dog etc. This is NOT a real example. The real one is in French.

I also thought that on specific occasions I might want to trigger the score calculator for that particular "question" or the entire quiz (I was originally thinking of questions but quiz too so it can be reported in some way to an LMS if necessary with as little hassle as possible), hence my query to the group. As I said, I could set up a dummy "right" answer as Tim suggested but I just thought there would be a more direct way of doing this (e.g. by manually changing a variable somewhere - but I could not see one).