Course not functioning in IE

clewis2107
clewis2107 Community Member Posts: 43
I blame myself as I didn't test in IE earlier.

So what I have is a course working 100% in Chrome, Safari, even Edge, but IE wants nothing of it.  From what I see is it has to do with my use of variables.

To start off, I set some variables with info for rev date, copyright, etc. and then displaying those variables.  I am getting "~~~null~~~" in IE.

When the opening screen displays, it should also play audio.  I am also using actions to set the audio as I am using one Voice Over action for the entire course.  Works fine except in IE.

There are other functions not working as well, but I think they are all related.

The built in Lectora variables such as CurrentTitleName display properly in IE.

From what I have read, "~~~null~~~" is displayed when a value is empty.

Ideas?

Comments

  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
  • clewis2107
    clewis2107 Community Member Posts: 43
    Are you running IE in compatibility mode
    I am not.  I have even tried adding/removing the site in the Compatibility View websites.
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    What version of Lectora are you running?  Can you provide a sample title?
  • clewis2107
    clewis2107 Community Member Posts: 43
    v16.2.2

    Yes, I can share.  Can I send link to download in private email/PM?
  • clewis2107
    clewis2107 Community Member Posts: 43
    FWIW, the debug window is showing all of my variable values that I would expect to display.

    Trivantis Debug

    a001_1._introduction_1.1_welcome.html ----
    Action [Set Course Code - sta_courseCode - xxx## on A001] fired!
    saveVariable for Varsta_courseCode to [OEP67E]
    Action [Set Time Est - sta_completionTime ##:## on A001] fired!
    saveVariable for Varsta_completionTime to [40:00]
    Action [Set Rev Date - sta_revDate (MM/DD/YYYY) on A001] fired!
    saveVariable for Varsta_revDate to [10/06/2016]
    Action [Set Template Version - sta_templateVer - (#.#) on A001] fired!
    saveVariable for Varsta_templateVer to [1.0]
    Action [Set Rev Level - sta_revLevel (##.##) on A001] fired!
    saveVariable for Varsta_revLevel to [1.1]
    Action [Set sta_totalPages = # on A001] fired!
    saveVariable for Varsta_totalPages to [25]
    Action [Copyright Information on A001] fired!
    saveVariable for Varsta_copyright to [This web-based training (WBT) course contains the latest information available at the time of publication. Continuous improvements in our products and service procedures may make some of the information contained in this course to be obsolete or invalid. Always refer to current, approved, manufacturer's publications when servicing ########. #### reserve the right to make changes at any time without notice. The information contained in this WBT is to be used for reference only and is confidential and proprietary to ####. No part of this material may be used or disclosed without the written permission of ####. ©2017 ################ - All Rights Reserved]
  • clewis2107
    clewis2107 Community Member Posts: 43
    OK. I just put in an action Display Message to show one of my variables, which displays what I expected.

    From that point on, my audio plays, buttons display, etc.  It seems as though stopping the course for that split second to trigger the message allowed the the course to display my variable text content and play the audio, amongst other functions.

     

    Weird.
  • clewis2107
    clewis2107 Community Member Posts: 43
    Well I figured out the cause, and it is very odd IMO.

    I used one Audio function for the entire course and then used actions to set and play the voice over.  Prior to setting and playing, I had a Stop Audio action.  I removed that action and all of my variable text displayed and voice played as expected.

    Seems like it was a timing issue in IE that was firing the Stop Audio.
  • clewis2107
    clewis2107 Community Member Posts: 43
    So.....

    After tons of testing I come to find out that my entire issue was due to how our LMS handles HTML5 content when using IE.

    I have tested through our LMS using every other browser, and the only one with issues is IE.  I have tested the course using Scorm Cloud and locally with Reload using IE, and the courses function as designed.

    I now have a bigger dent on my forehead.