Trivantis Acquired by StoneCalibre?

klaatu
klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
Uh-oh. Deja Vu. ToolBook was "acquired" by SkillSoft who promptly killed it.

StoneCalibre -
Headquartered in Century City, CA, StoneCalibre is a privately funded investment firm specializing in the acquisition of lower middle market companies. Founded by Brian Wall in 2012, StoneCalibre is focused on making investments in both special situations and quality long-term capital investment opportunities.

Can anyone at Trivantis elaborate on this surprise. What does it mean for Inspire moving forward?

Comments

• sirwise23
    sirwise23 Community Member Posts: 442 ☆ Roadie ☆
    I remember that... However Skillsoft was already in the business of selling courses so that kind of made sense. Unless StoneCalibre also owns Articulate, I don't think that is end goal of the company.

If anything I hope having extra funding will make everything better and that Trivantis gets to keep it's name and entity.
  • klaatu
    According to Bloomberg.com:

StoneCalibre, LLC operates as a private equity firm. The Company focuses on management buy-outs, acquisitions, mergers, recapitalizations, restructuring, and other corporate situations. StoneCalibre serves clients in the United States.

Why would they be interested in Trivantis? What you said is exactly my concern. Skillsoft was already in the business so it makes sense that they'd buy SumTotal Systems (for their LMS actually, not ToolBook). I only know what I'm reading about StoneCalibre and "management buy-outs" and other "corporate situations" doesn't sound great. They are in the "Asset Management" business not eLearning (lol, I guess they are now). If this were a merger in order to infuse capital to grow then we'd probably already have heard about plans or "Great News!"

I'm looking to possibly get another license and support contract but now I want to hear StoneCalibre's plans first. It took 2 emails to SkillSoft for them to come right out and say that they had no intention of ever upgrading ToolBook again and that current users should consider SkillSoft's suite of elearning materials.

I'm with you, Lazaro, I hope this is good news.
  • sirwise23
    sirwise23 Community Member Posts: 442 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Yea, I hope This company is not a chop shop... buying off a company and separating and selling its assets. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • scottbarnett
    scottbarnett Community Member Posts: 2

Hi Darrel,

Trivantis sees the acquisition by StoneCalibre as great news. By partnering with StoneCalibre, Trivantis has even more resources to devote to our products and making our customers successful.

StoneCalibre is committed to the growth of Trivantis and confident in the eLearning industry.  

Here's a link to the press release, if you'd like to learn more about why StoneCalibre is bullish on Trivantis.

• klaatu
    Hope you're right, Scott.
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    I don't think this is in any way like SkillSoft's acquisition of ToolBook. Trivantis were previously owned by a large US family business that had nothing to do with IT, HR or learning. All they could do is to provide money and ask for returns.

StoneCalibre are smarter money because they bring a network of contacts, know-how and potential synergies with other companies they own. Just look at their porfolio! Here are a few:

* Data911 is a mobile solutions provider with 33 years of development, design and manufacturing experience serving the Public Safety market.
    * Amtel provides an integrated SaaS solution for all three aspects of enterprise mobility management – mobile device security, apps management and expense control.
    * XMedius is a leading global provider of enterprise-grade solutions for Secure Document Exchange.

It looks like StoneCalibre know the enterprise market and see potential in Trivantis. I really hope good things come out of it.
  • scottbarnett
    scottbarnett Community Member Posts: 2

Thanks, Sergey. Completely agree.

For those looking for more info, A Q&A with Trivantis CEO about the Acquisition was just posted in the Trivantis blog.