Question Text Box Size

mlong3005
mlong3005 Community Member Posts: 3
Users in our organization are finding that when a new questions is created, the text box for the question is oversized, with white space showing between the question and the choices. This requires the question text box to be resized and all the choices to be moved up on the page. I wasn't able to find any other posts about this - is it a known issue? We are using version 16.1.2.

Comments

• jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    Just for your reference we do have a complete list of known issues on our website http://trivantis.com/known-issues It's not listed so I'll check with the development team and support and get back to you.
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    The larger text boxes are to compensate for responsive courses.  So in theory you can adjust them as necessary across all devices without running the risk of content being cut off.
  • mlong3005
    Thanks for the response, Jennifer. It sounds like you are saying this is working as intended. I see now that the textbox is made twice as tall as it needs to be (in desktop view) because the phone width would cause the text to be double in height. I don't entirely know what you mean by
    in theory you can adjust them as necessary across all devices without running the risk of content being cut off.
    I believe that in practice I can adjust the textboxes however I want across the views if I have responsive design enabled. If I don't have responsive design enabled, I don't need the software to size my textboxes for the benefit of a narrow view that will not be used.

I think a preferable solution would be to have the question responses positioned relative to the question text instead of being positioned absolutely, which is what is causing the question text to appear over the responses in narrower views. Maybe this is something the development team is working on. It would be great if in the meantime this behavior was restricted to courses which have been designated as responsive; in courses developed for wide screens, the text box should not double in height.
  • t_johnb
    t_johnb [email protected] Community Member Posts: 295 ☆ Roadie ☆
    The changes to the question representation were done for better spacing in all titles as much as they were done for responsive titles. The two attached images are an example of the same question created using the default positioning in v12 vs v16 (Bacon Ipsum is my choice of fill in text!) In all cases, each part of the question is positioned relative to the preceding parts of the question.

In the v12 example, you can see though that the font is much smaller, and the question is spaced the same as all of the choices underneath making it hard to read. This would certainly need re-positioning of all elements. The text boxes themselves were also clipped right at the edge of the text, which, on some occasions, caused lines to wrap when viewed across multiple browsers and/or devices.

The second image is the v16 representation of the exact same question. The font is larger, things are spaced a bit more naturally for a question, and the text boxes are given room such that things that are not intended to wrap onto the next line do not wrap.

Previously when I created questions with v12, I always had to move and size every piece of the question to get it to look right, every time. Now I find that a large percentage of the time, the question is spaced right, and I just bold the question to distinguish it from the choices, and I'm done. I've included a screenshot of that as well to illustrate the point.

That being said, there will always be cases where the parts of the question need to be moved around to fit the look and feel of the page, we just tried to make it such that the least amount of changes were needed when creating questions.
  • mlong3005
    I completely agree that in the shots you've provided, the question looks much better in 16. The version 12 default was not ideal and in 16 the spacing is more natural. One hurdle we've seen is that the behavior seems to double the height of the text box rather than providing a consistent amount of space between question and answers. I like the one blank line between question and answers in your screenshots, but making the question 3 or 4 lines long increases this beyond one blank line. Definitely an opportunity for fine-tuning future releases.