Multiple Audio on One Page?

suzanneb
suzanneb Community Member Posts: 32
I have created a 5-piece drag-and-drop interaction where a "Correct" mp3 audio file should play if the item is dropped correctly and an "Incorrect" mp3 audio file should play if the drop is not correct. My "Correct" audio always plays for each correctly dropped item, but the audio will not play for the wrong drop. I know both audio files are OK, because if I switch the sounds, the Incorrect mp3 will play when the correct drop is made, but then the Correct mp3 will not play when the drop is wrong. I have checked my feedback settings multiple times to verify that the action is set properly (calls one action group for correct, a different for wrong). Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a problem in Lectora with using multiple audio files on the same page? Any suggestions on what else to try?

Comments

• ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Can you share the title (with that one page)?
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,207 ♦ Idol ♦
    How did you set up the conditions to decide which action group should be run? I'd suppose that's where the issue comes from.

I've built a sample with three items. "Correct" is shown if the item is dropped correctly and "Incorrect" if not. I couldn't find suitable audios but the logic should work with "Play" actions as well.

Tim

Lectora 16.1.2
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    Happy to help figure it out if you provide the files?
  • suzanneb
    In response to the replies received, I would be happy to provide the file, but the sample includes proprietary graphics, so I do not feel comfortable posting where, I believe, the general community has access to the file. Is there a more secure location I can post the zip file for your review?
  • timk
    Just copy the page to an empty title and remove or replace all images. We don't need it to be beautyful ;-)
  • suzanneb
    The graphics are the whole basis of the drag and drop (puzzle) interaction. Not really practical or possible to replace in this case and have the interaction make any sense. If I post the zip file, is there a way to take it back off the posting as soon as you have picked it up? If not, I will have to create a new page.
  • klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    No. Regardless if it can be taken down right away, like just about everywhere else on the Internet, once you post something assume it's been copied and shared. What Tim is asking for will not break the interaction. It doesn't even have to make sense as long as he can troubleshoot the functionality. Sorry to jump in like this; I have been watching your post with interest and I didn't want you to post anything confidential.
  • timk
    You could download the sample I've shared and see if that fulfills your requirements, before you upload your own.

Tim
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    If you're not comfortable sharing it publically or recreating the file then feel free to send it over to support for troubleshooting.  Your files aren't shared with anyone in the company unless it's absolutely necessary to bring someone else in to help and you can be assured that we won't make your files public in any way.  Just select the "Submit a support ticket" button.
  • suzanneb
    I reviewed the file Tim sent (Thanks!) and found that I had developed a similar method using action groups to respond to the correct/incorrect drop. This was helpful in confirming that my methods were OK. However, this did not solve the audio problem.

Since the other action in my WRONG action group successfully completes, I know that action group is entered. I have tried placing the “incorrect” audio both before and after the other action; seems to make no difference which action occurs first.

So, I have attached a file in which I've replaced proprietary graphics with some green boxes and reconfigured the drag item layout to approximate the actual placement in the drop area, since the drop location outline only seems to show when the page is first entered. It’s only 5 pieces, so anyone trying to drag/drop the items should be able to accomplish it successfully. (Of course, it’s the INCORRECT drop AUDIO that’s the problem.)

I would appreciate it if you can see what I’ve done wrong (i.e., why the audio that should play when the dropped item is incorrectly placed isn't playing).
  • suzanneb
    I will add one more note to my comments above. It may seem that I have put a couple extra, unnecessary steps in this example. However, this the first drag-and-drop I've created in Lectora and, while this particular sample itself is fairly simple, I am trying to create some options that I can build on to try to recreate other much more complicated drag-and-drop related interactions. (We are trying to replace the Flash-based software we're currently using with a product that can replicate at least most of what we're doing now so that we can publish our high-interactivity courses to tablets, etc. So, I need to prove to my employer whether or not Lectora will meet our needs, and am trying to jump into a little beyond the basics of functionality in a fairly short period of time.)
  • klaatu
    The reason you do not get any incorrect feedback is because there are no incorrect drop zones. You need to build a different drop image (include a representation of all the drop zones so the user knows where to drop). Do not use the beveled box. Once you select the drop image you can insert 5 drop zones for each question (1 correct, 4 wrong) over the represented drop zones. I haven't looked deeper into the actions and logic but it seems that may be all you need to do (for each question). It's getting late and I'm tired so I hope this is making sense. I will look into it more tomorrow if the others do not beat me to the punch.

Example of drop image:

http://imgur.com/a/ys1Uz
  • klaatu
    By the way, in my opinion the best thing about Lectora is that it allows you to extend it's abilities by adding your own JavaScript and CSS via HTML Extension. Most of my projects are riddled with jQuery , GSAP and my own style sheet(s). Any interaction you could have built in Flash can be replicated in Lectora with these (and other) libraries. That's not to say Lectora isn't powerful enough to stand alone, for most of what you'll need to do it is, but when you need to build something complicated that is not a standard feature of the application the ability is there as long as you have the programming skills. Even if you're relatively new to programming there are some real smart helpful posters in this forum who are very willing to help out.
  • suzanneb
    Darrel, thanks for your feedback. I think I'm understanding what you are saying, but I think I actually AM getting incorrect feedback - that's the part of the incorrect action group that returns the dropped item to its original place. (Otherwise, wouldn't it just sit where I dropped it?) I'm just not getting the 2nd action in the group (the audio) to play. And, in this case, I do need the beveled box as a boundary for the drop location. Remember that I had to replace my original, proprietary images (that would make much more sense here) with the green boxes. This particular drag-and-drop, in its original form with original graphics, should actually be a no-brainer for the student with just the guidelines of the boundary box. I also will look at this again in the morning; this gives me something to think about overnight.
  • timk
    Good morning,

Darrel is right. Each of your questions only has one dropzone. Dropping the item in that zone is always correct, you cannot drop the item incorrectly. Dropping means placing an item in a dropzone, it's not just releasing the mouse button.

Your incorrect feedback action groups are technically correct, but they are never run. Setting the Feedback to "Immediately" means, the question is processed when it has been answered (without clicking a button to "Process question"). If you drop the item outside the dropzone, the question is "not answered" instead of "incorrectly answered". The item just snaps back to its original position as there's no dropzone beneath it to stick to, it's not reset. You can't drop an item in another questions dropzones.

Tim
  • timk
    I've rebuild your interaction with only one dnd question and five dropzones. Resetting a single item is not something Lectora can do by default, so I've integrated some javascript. I'm only using Lectoras feedback to show the final "Congratulations" textfield. Mind that the Feedback actions are run after the fifth item has been dropped, i.e. after the question has been answered completely. All other actions are run "On: Click" of the drag items.

Tim
  • suzanneb
    Thanks to Darrell and Tim for the instructive feedback on how Lectora functions with regard to Drag and Drops. I have way too much to learn about this product! Thanks also to Tim for the sample file. I will start with this information and see if I can adapt it for what we need. I think, unfortunately, that I am going to have to go outside native Lectora and, as both Darrell & Tim suggested/provided, use Javascript. But, this provides me with a new starting place and a better understanding, so I am still better off today than yesterday!
  • suzanneb
    Using what I learned from the suggestions that both Tim and Darrel provided, even though I was able to use only sections of their information due to requirements from my company, I am happy to report that I solved this problem, and without having to go outside of native Lectora. I have 5 drag items that either are correctly placed and produce a “correct” audio as soon as each is placed or, if not correctly placed, the individual item returns immediately to its original position and an “incorrect” audio plays.

My company tries to work towards the “errorless learning” theory. So, rather than allowing an item to be incorrectly dropped and the student receiving [incorrect] confirmation by seeing it remain there, we want the item returned immediately to its original position – not all at once after everything is placed. I would like to offer a suggestion to Lectora to include in the basic questions a 2<sup>nd</sup> type of drag-and-drop question that includes return of an incorrectly dropped item immediately, as each separate item is dropped.