VR Course Contest

Show us your best virtual reality course and win $50 gift card and a winner badge!
CHECK IT OUT

Variables to change text

rliverman
rliverman Community Member Posts: 7
I have 20 text boxes. I'd like to click on the acronym and have the definition display in monitor face.  How can I accomplish this when the order of clicking is not structured?

Comments

• jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    For each text block show the necessary definition and then hide the remaining 19.  That way no matter what is selected only one definition will show up at a time.  I create the actions on the first text block, copy and past it onto the next, then replace the hide action for that text block with the previous one. I know typing that out it makes no sense lol  That way you're not having to repeat yourself over and over.  You can see what I mean by downloading the files I created for Contest 13 and checking out the functionality of the "Why London?" page. I took it a step further and also included a variable where all of them had to be reviewed before the learner could navigate to the next page.

http://community.trivantis.com/contest/planning-the-ultimate-trip-to-london/
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,148 ✶ Headliner ✶
    Put all definitions into a group (select all, right-click -> Group, Name group "Definitions"). Make the whole group "initially hidden". Each of your buttons then needs only two actions, Hide -> Definitions and Show -> Respective Textfield.

Tim
  • rliverman
    Hi Tim,

This sounds really simple however, please clarify. I have created the 20 boxes with acronym. Now I need to create text boxes with the definitions.  After that are you saying group all text box definitions, then create some kind of hide and show for the 20 boxes. On click hide ?,  Since the definitions will be grouped, how will the right definition be displayed?  I'm new to Lectora and understand basic actions, however to click on a box and have the appropriate definition and hide whatever is in the window is interesting but I'm not clear on the action that hides the current box.
  • rliverman
    Thank you Jennifer,

I have downloaded and will review tomorrow to see if it makes sense to me. :-)

Roberta
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    You know how you develop courses for so long that you get yourself stuck in a routine that you forget there's probably a simpler way of doing stuff.  That's totally one of these instances @timk lol What Tim is describing is where you place all the items in a group and then on the text block that will act as a button including two actions:

1. On Mouse Click Hide Group

2. On Mouse Click Show Text Block

I updated the page where I had explained my previous suggestion and used Tim's method instead.  The file is attached.
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,148 ✶ Headliner ✶
    I'm sorry, I should have explained more detailled, 11:25 pm where I am...