VR Course Contest

Show us your best virtual reality course and win $50 gift card and a winner badge!
CHECK IT OUT

Line Outline (glow)

clewis2107
clewis2107 Community Member Posts: 43
Why is there not an option for Glow effect similar to PowerPoint?  Unless I am totally missing something...

I have developers that use the lines to point to areas on an image, and when you use a darker line, it is tough to see the locations.  In PPT, they use the Glow effect which creates a halo around the line, making it more visible against a dark area.

All the other shapes in Lectora have the Style option for Outline Weight, why is this not applied to the line?

Any work-a-rounds?

- CL

Comments

• jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    A glow effect isn't currently in the product however I'll add it to our list of future enhancements.  You could add custom CSS to the line or arrows in the course.  Here's an article I found online: http://codersblock.com/blog/creating-glow-effects-with-css/
  • klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    You can but it's weak. If you make an arrow and add an offset center shadow colored to your liking it'll look like a slight glow.  Now this is no where near as powerful as PowerPoint's however, there's more than one way to shoe a horse.

Try this. Create an arrow with a line weight of, let's say, 6. Make it yellow and add an offset center yellow shadow with a blur of about 6. That will be your glow. Now duplicate this arrow, change the line weight to 2, make it black and if it isn't already, center it inside (and on top of) the glow. If you ask me, I think it look BETTER than PowerPoints. See attached. Happy glowing. 

http://imgur.com/eKjbkYQ
  • klaatu
    Whoops, the bottom one is made in lectora....
  • clewis2107
    Try this. Create an arrow with a line weight of, let’s say, 6. Make it yellow and add an offset center yellow shadow with a blur of about 6. That will be your glow. Now duplicate this arrow, change the line weight to 2, make it black and if it isn’t already, center it inside (and on top of) the glow. If you ask me, I think it look BETTER than PowerPoints. See attached. Happy glowing.
    I work with folks who like to use sledge hammers when developing.  And if I have them use that method, they are going to hurt me. :-)

I like the look, but you can't duplicate and scale the lines/arrows when built that way.
  • clewis2107
    A glow effect isn’t currently in the product however I’ll add it to our list of future enhancements.  You could add custom CSS to the line or arrows in the course.  Here’s an article I found online: http://codersblock.com/blog/creating-glow-effects-with-css/
    That is great, thanks.
  • vicki
    vicki Community Member Posts: 58 ☆ Roadie ☆
    When we want to use the glow option, we make an image that contains the glow and use states (if a button) or simple On Mouse Enter/Exit actions to show/hide the glowing image.

Just an option.
  • clewis2107
    Vicki, it is for callout lines/arrows, not full images.  See attached.  The example was built in Flash where I have the lines drawn at run time.  Code draws a white line and then draws a black line over in order to have the line show better over a dark image.

And you may ask...  Why not use Flash?  iPad!
  • klaatu
    Chuck,  give those people you work with a rubber mallet..      Why can't you duplicate and scale the images?

Another approach - If you programmed in Flash then you should have no trouble with JavaScript. GreenSocks GSAP (GreenSock Animation Platform) is an awesome tool to create animations (like glowing, growing arrows) and works well inside Lectora.

• clewis2107
    Why can’t you duplicate and scale the images?
    Unless I am doing something weird, if you do two lines, it doesn't scale when selecting both objects.
    Another approach – If you programmed in Flash then you should have no trouble with JavaScript.GreenSocks GSAP (GreenSock Animation Platform) is an awesome tool to create animations (like glowing, growing arrows) and works well inside Lectora.
    I've only been playing with Lectora for a few weeks and trying to get something together quickly.  My boss thinks it is all drag/drop to build something.  Which for a basic course it is, but I don't like rebuilding functionality over and over again and like to have templates to save time/effort....which takes time to program.  Just working my way through and reading up on how to enhance Lectora.
    give those people you work with a rubber mallet.. 
    I need to.  All of the developers (SME) are also learning inDesign for creating ILT books and they like mashing buttons if it doesn't work the way they expect.  I need to go in and figure out what they did and correct their issues.
  • klaatu
    You might want to look at Articulate Engage, specifically the labeled graphic and labeled panel interactions. There's another that uses animated arrows exactly like you describe from your Flash days but I forgot its name. You can import the interactions into Lectora for a full fledged e-learning experience.