Weird registry keys

smiller7502
smiller7502 Community Member Posts: 181
Somehow on my PC, .awt files have become associated with Adobe Acrobat instead of Lectora. The files show the PDF icon and everything -- which of course makes them impossible to open from a My Computer window. (They open fine if I navigate to them in Lectora, but this is less convenient.)

I know how to change file type associations, but it doesn't work; Windows does not seem to believe that Lectora.exe can open .awt files.

I searched the registry and found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.awt with data of awt_auto_file. I also found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\awt_auto_file with empty data, and I suspect these two keys may be contributing to my problem.

If you can double-click a .awt file in a My Computer window to open it in Lectora, would you please check the values of those two keys in the registry and let me know?

Comments

• ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    I don't see entries HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.awt and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\awt_auto_file in my Registry.

UPD. Ok, I looked under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.awt that pointed to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Lectora.Title entry - I have exported it and attached to this post.
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    It sounds like there was a disconnect during the update process.  If updating the keys doesn't work you might want to try unistalling and reinstalling or having Support take a look.
  • smiller7502
    smiller7502 Community Member Posts: 181
    @Sergey, there it is! Thank you very much.

I seriously doubt this will happen to anybody else, but just in case, here's what I did:
    1. Changed the data for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.awt to Lectora.Title.
    2. Rebooted.
    3. Went to Start > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    4. Clicked .awt in the list.
    5. Clicked Change Program. This time, Windows knew that Lectora could open this type of file and offered it to me as a choice.
    6. Clicked Lectora.
    7. Clicked OK.
    8. Clicked Close. Problem solved: .awt files show a Lectora icon in My Computer windows, and I can double-click to open them in Lectora.
    Thank you very much!