Single Page Marked Complete

klaatu
klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
I have a single page lesson to be used as an attestation form that consists of only a check box . If the student checks it they are confirming completion of self read material.

I have two modify variable actions on change of the check box:
AICC_Score = 100
AICC_Lesson_Status = Complete (The LMS requires a capital C in case you're wondering.)

If the student does not check the box and they exit the course via the exit button the LMS is still recording them as complete. Could this be because it is a single page and therefore Lectora is marking the AU complete? If so, how would you suggest I stop that from happening?

By the way, I also tried exiting out by closing the window without using the exit button and it still marked as complete.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Comments

• timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,207 ♦ Idol ♦
    Hi Darrel,

By default Lectora marks a page "completed" On: Show. You can modify the state manually:

On: Show
    Action: Set completion status
    Target: This page

If "Checkbox_0001" equal to "on"

Else

Action: Set completion status
    Target: This page

Add a similar action to the checkbox. You can of course use this condition for your other actions as well in case the user checks and unchecks again.

Tim
  • klaatu
    Thanks, Tim.  Toolbook tracked page, chapter and book completion however, it did not act on it without author input. Although I haven't heard of it happening, I'm going to have to look at the few other lessons I've put together with Lectora to make sure none are completing when they shouldn't.
  • timk
    Trivantis developers always try to make it as easy as possible for Lectora beginners, so that the Completion tracking is working even if you didn't know about it at all. Still On: Page show would logically mean "In Progress", On: Page hide would be the better trigger to set a page Completed by default. This would also make it easier to control the completion status in dependance on actions on the page. Currently you'd have to set the status to "In Progress" manually and modify it (back) to Completed if the user has done the required actions.

It would be nice to have a checkbox in the title option to disable the default completion status tracking.

Tim

• klaatu
    I agree, that would be nice. I do appreciate the developers forward thinking. I wish half of what Lectora does was available when I started in the Authorware (and Neobook) days. I also appreciate that you hang around here and offer such great assistant. Thanks again.
  • klaatu
    Tim, I can't seem to get it to work. Every time I access the file on the LMS it marks as complete.

Any idea's?
  • timk
    Seems like the completion status is already completed on show, as the page / course is Completed first before you set the page Not started. I've tested the attached in moodle 3.0 successfully. I set the whole AU to "In progress" on show (always) and modify the Scorm variables only after that.

Moodle said I've passed my first attempt (checkbox checked) with 100 but failed on my second (checkbox unchecked). Although of course both passed and failed include completed.

Tim
  • timk
    Another way to bypass Lectoras Completion tracking may be to just add a second page to your title (not to be accessible). By this the AU should never "Completed" (Lectora) because the second page can't be reached.

Tim
  • klaatu
    Brilliant, Tim, brilliant. 
  • klaatu
    While it is still a brilliant idea and no doubt part of a final solution, it still did not work.  I read the user guide again..nothing.  I don't understand what I am missing. Why do I have to fight Lectora to not mark as complete without meeting criteria I set, like having to check a checkbox?

I added an extra page. I set "in progress" for the Title, AU and Page on both onShow and on the Exit button with a conditional that checks the checkbox (like you suggested). The best I got so far was if I did all this and the student exits without checking the checkbox the lesson marks "in progress". HOWEVER, if they exit incorrectly by closing out the window, thereby bypassing the exit button, the lesson marks complete! With all these actions preventing complete, how is that possible?

Do you have any other idea's?

I'm so frustrated by this that a SCORM wrapper and Sublime are starting to look a lot better than Lectora at this point.
  • timk
    I've thought about that several times during the last days...

While the second page should prevent Lectora from marking the course completed automatically, it may now be your LMS that does it via the score.  In the last version I saw / sent we set the score to 100 if checked and to 0 if unchecked. In both cases the course sends a score to the LMS. When the LMS checks the score against the mastery score of the AU (default is 75) it may decide "passed" if checked / 100 and "failed" if unchecked / 0. Both passed and failed also mean "completed".

Maybe it's possible to not influence the score at all on the page with the checkbox and add an action to modify the score to the unreachable second page. But I could also imagine that the LMS checks the score when you set the Status to "completed" as this would mean the Scorm attempt has been finished and that would be the time to check the score.

Maybe you can use passed / failed instead of completed / incomplete.

I wish you a relaxing Sunday.

Tim
  • klaatu
    I tried adjusting the LMS mastery score, raw score, you name it just about every other option. I tried adding a test to the page and manually adjusting the AICC_Lesson_Status and AICC_Score. In the end, like always, it'll be something really simple that I'm (not Lectora) messing up. I'm going to have to start from scratch and this time track everything I try.  I am going to take your wish very seriously . I'd probably have given up if you weren't such a great help.

Thank you.

Darrel
  • ds8538
    ds8538 Community Member Posts: 10
    I have the same problem as Darrel.

Darell, have you maybe found any solution for this problem?

Regards,

D.
  • klaatu
    I rebuilt the page from scratch and it worked as intended. One thing in particular that Tim mentioned you might want to check on is the your LMS mastery score requirements (if there are any). On ours, I set the mastery score to 100 for complete and then in Lectora I set AICC_Score to 100 if the checkbox was true. I also set AICC_Lesson_Status to "Completed" (no quotes). This worked. If the checkbox was not selected (true) and the student/employee exited the lesson showed in progress.

• vicki
    vicki Community Member Posts: 75 ♪ Opening Act ♪
    I am also experiencing problems of pages being marked complete when they shouldn't be.

In my interaction, users start on a portal page of topics. They select a topic, supply an answer, click submit, get feedback, then return to the portal. If the answer was incorrect, the image for that topic in the portal should still show incomplete. Now, it always shows complete after the user visited the page.

This was working before 16.2.1.

• klaatu
    Vicki, I believe Tim mentioned above that Lectora marks a page as completed immediately upon visit. In order to prevent that put a conditional in the trigger that returns the user to the portal that checks if the answer is incorrect. If it is then mark the page as incomplete and then return the user to the portal. If you post a sample I will try to get it to work for you.
  • timk
    Maybe John @johnb can shed some more light on how the Page Completion Status works. That would be great

Thanks in advance

Tim
  • t_johnb
    t_johnb [email protected] Community Member Posts: 295 ☆ Roadie ☆
    There definitely seems to be a bit of confusion in this topic about page completion, which is internal to Lectora and works with the status indicators, and the AICC_Lesson_Status being set to "Complete". The two are completely separate. Going to a page will mark that page as complete in the context of a status indicator for that page, but has no effect on the AICC_Lesson_Status variable, the only way to change that is by setting the variable.

We tried to make it more obvious in the most recent version of Lectora by changing the action name from "Set Completion Status" to "Set Tracking Status", just to avoid this confusion.

Once you have visited a page, its tracking status is marked as "Complete", but you can change that with the "Set Tracking Status" action to another status on any trigger.
  • vicki
    vicki Community Member Posts: 75 ♪ Opening Act ♪
    In ended up putting in actions to track the status of the page:

On page show set status as In Progress.

Then, when they finish the page and get their feedback, the status is changed to Complete once the OK (to close the feedback) is clicked.

I could have sworn that before 16.2, that actions to set the status would override the tendency of Lectora to mark pages complete. But then, perhaps the courses I had previously developed had been simple/linear enough that I never had to consider it.

Thanks!