Open Source/Free SCORM/Tincan systems

mlapl1
mlapl1 Community Member Posts: 349 ☆ Roadie ☆
Hello

I am trying to find a free site for SCORM or Tincan. SCORM.com is fine but costs a lot. Is there a free/open source scorm software that could be installed on a server and used in conjunction with Lectora? I am aware of at least one Open Source Tincan script but have not been able to connect to it properly. I am aware that there are plenty of LMS systems which have SCORM etc. built into them but I do not wish to use any of them.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

Andrew

Comments

• klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    Moodle  may be all you need.
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
  • mlapl1
    Thanks very much guys - but I am actually NOT looking for an LMS but a standalone scorm or tincan system which I could connect directly to Lectora lessons and manage independently. scorm.com seems to do this but I don't know of another like it.

any more ideas?
  • klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    What you are describing sounds to me like you're looking for an LMS. Maybe a local installation?

If you install a local server (as a developer this is important) such as WAMP or XAMMP (I prefer WAMP) You can install and run Moodle locally. Is that what you are looking for?

• jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    Here are the ones that have been brought to my attention as either being free, cheap or include a free trial where you could test a course without paying. I've never used any so I don't have much to say.  I have heard about Talent LMS  and Learn Upon before but never got around to testing their software.

• ssneg
    Easygenerator is not an LMS. It is an authoring tool.
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    Yes, but it has publishing options like cloud, social media, webpages, and a private link.  All of which can be done under the free payment plan. Of course that plan is very limited and you can only have 10 learners and 10 courses.

https://www.easygenerator.com/pricing/
  • mlapl1
    Thanks again everybody. I feel really spoiled by you but have investigated most of the suggested options already. I am actually not looking for an LMS.

I am basically looking for something much more lightweight than a full LMS, just the SCORM/Tincan component to which I could connect directly rather than write my own (see below). I thought maybe such a thing existed already (well it does: Rustici and scorm.com have basically what I am looking for but it is quite expensive and I thought there might be other alternatives). I work with a CENTOS-based VPS and could install pretty much anything I need. In fact, I have installed learninglocker but I must have done something wrong as I cannot get it to talk to anything and I must confess that I am not as familiar with mongodb as I am with, say MySQL and its tools. I also want to avoid running Java-based systems like Tomcat (although I have installed it too). I do not need layers and layers of software.

Essentially, I am trying to make Lectora the focus of all development with a very fast, modular, lightweight management structure around it. It is not very different from what Peter Jackson demonstrated a little while back (sorry I do not have the Trivantis ref hand) using scorm.com.

I can almost achieve what I want using google docs and the Lectora templates provided by Trivantis BUT I do not want to store anything on google docs. I would prefer to keep it on something over which I have control and can maintain confidentiality/security/ownership.

The alternative might be to create a series of mysql databases and connect to them using Lectora forms speaking through server-side php scripts - but before doing that I thought I would ask whether something like this has already been done: I do not particularly want to re-invent anything - and of course security is always an issue.

Thanks once again for everybody's great help. Teamwork... :)

Andrew

• wendymiller
    wendymiller Community Member Posts: 244
    Hi Andrew,

John Blackmon @johnb did a webinar on xAPI not long ago which we have a recording of here on the Community, if you missed it.

http://community.trivantis.com/knowledge-base/your-xapi-questions-answered/

At about 6:15, he starts talking about various options for LRS/LMS systems to use with xAPI. And at about 10:30 he addresses running an LRS on your own server. One system he mentions is Learning Locker, which you said you've already tried unsuccessfully. But he also mentions this GitHub. Perhaps this would work better for you?

https://github.com/adlnet/ADL_LRS

And also this commercial, but relatively cheap option.

http://www.nextsoftwaresolutions.com/grassblade-lrs-experience-api/

In any case, I recommend watching the webinar as he takes a lot of questions from the attendees that might help answer some of your questions too.

• mlapl1
    Thank you Wendy - I did not know about the webinar and will look at it with great interest (and the other things too).
  • mnotermans5114
    mnotermans5114 Community Member Posts: 916
    Maybe take a look at Google's Firebase. ( https://www.firebase.com ) A cloudbased database that is lightning fast and easy to approach.
    A sample of it you find here. http://community.trivantis.com/shared-content/online-journal-proof-of-concept-v2/

Downside of it is offcourse you skipping Scorm completely. Plusside is it is realtime and you can save/read whatever you want.
  • ssneg
    Yes, but it has publishing options like cloud, social media, webpages, and a private link. All of which can be done under the free payment plan. Of course that plan is very limited and you can only have 10 learners and 10 courses.
    Their cloud only hosts their own courses, it is not SCORM-compatible or xAPI-compatible, so this is totally not what Andrew was looking for.
  • mlapl1
    Thank you everybody. I did try Easygenerator more than a year ago. They have responsive assistance and some good features, but decided to go for Lectora instead. Lectora has the potential to let me extend it more easily (even though I am still learning how).

Thanks once again!
  • mlapl1
    As a followup... does anyone know of any open source/free SCORM/Tincan LRS written in php/mysql (and not mongodb - with which I am not familiar)? I tried installing learninglocker but it is just not working - I probably got something wrong. I know that there are demsos of tincan using php/mysql but I do not seem to be able to find any fully-fledged systems.

Thanks

Andrew