Detecting when a user clicks out of a text entry field

cmetzler2560
cmetzler2560 Community Member Posts: 58
I'd like to detect and provide feedback when a user doesn't click inside the text entry field they are supposed to click in to complete. How do I do this?

Comments

• klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    I'm going to assume that the user clicks the next button without entering any text. Is that what you want?

You can achieve this by displaying a message (your feedback) on the click of the next button with a condition that entry001 (or whatever entry text variable applies) is empty. If it is not empty the fallback action should be go to next page. see attached example. awt and ini included in zip.

If you want something different let us know.

Darrel
  • cmetzler2560
    Hi Darrel, thank you. To be more specific, the text entry step is in the middle of a software simulation of clickable buttons, and if the user clicks something other than the text entry field, I want 'incorrect try again' feedback to appear.

I have a "Wrong Choice" transparent button under the text entry item to take care of incorrect button clicks but not too sure how to apply the same function to the text entry field.
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Like Darrel said, simply add a condition to each action that requires the text entry to be filled in. Make sure that it displays "You should enter some text!" message if the text entry variable is not empty. Here is a little sample: http://community.trivantis.com/shared-content/tutorial-conditional-actions-on-buttons/
  • cmetzler2560
    Thank you! I think I understand but I'm running into an issue... I can't seem to add a variable to the Entry Field within a Fill In The Blank Question. The variable pane is inactive.
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,197 ♦ Idol ♦
    The entry field of a Fill in the blank question doesn't have a separate variable, but you can just use the question variable (Question_0001) in the same way.

Tim
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    You could also add an invisible button all around the correct area that when clicked you show incorrect feedback.  We used to use this method at a previous position I held because it also doesn't make the correct answer obvious (mousing over the page until the cursor changes).
  • cmetzler2560
    Hi, thank you all. It seems my problem is more complex and I can't figure out where to correctly put the variables. So my user has 2 attempts to answer correctly. There's a couple of clicks and a text entry box. 1st attempt= try again/click ok; 2nd attempt=incorrect/click review. I've got variable Incorrect set to empty; add 1 for Incorrect on the wrong button choices, and I've got a variable to add 1 if Incorrect upon clicking submit to score the text entry box. The feedback (2 attempts) work fine when just clicking 2 areas incorrectly, and correct text entry feedback works, but when user types in the wrong answer the 1st attempt feedback appears AND it scores correctly/advances. It's not counting Incorrect, correctly. I've moved the variable that 'if Incorrect is less than 2 to Try Again else Incorrect' and 'add 1 for Incorrect' around and can't seem to get all the feedback between the button clicks and the entry box to work.
  • jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    Do you have an action associated to an incorrect entry?  Like on click show incorrect if answer does not contain the correct answer.
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,197 ♦ Idol ♦
    What you'd need is a variable to track the users progress through the steps, so you'll know at which point he makes a mistake and another variable to count attempts. I've shared a course to show how that can be done:

http://community.trivantis.com/shared-content/steps-in-the-correct-sequence/

Tim
  • cmetzler2560
    Thank you very much!