Register for our next webinar, 5 Keys to Unlock Storytelling in Your eLearning, where you'll learn how to unlock the magic of storytelling in your eLearning development to increase learner engagement and retention! Join Andrew Townsend, our Campaign Marketing Manager, on Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 11:00 AM MDT.

Be The First On Your Block to Rock Lectora® 21!

Apply for exclusive early access to the latest version of Lectora® Desktop v21. Seating is limited so apply now!

In need of help with your eLearning? Feel free to ask a question of the community! You can also visit our Knowledge Base or, if you're in need of immediate assistance, submit a case to our Customer Success team.

Making Object Blink in Lectora v11

jsearcyjsearcy Community Member Posts: 61
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a quick and easy way to make an object blink in Lectora. Any ideas?

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    Clammers solution is simple and effective.
  • jsearcyjsearcy Community Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for the quick responses. However, this is for a customer who has no programming skills so adding extensions is not an option. (I apologize for not mentioning this in the initial post.) I thought I could do it using a timer but once I added it, I got stumped. Could you be a bit more specific on exactly where I should add the action? I rarely ever use timers with Lectora so I am pretty rusty.

Thanks again for the responses.

Hi Jill. As Clammers suggests you place the object on the page and then insert an action on the page itself. The trigger will be Timed Interval. In the Action and Target section select the action Toggle Show/Hide. The target you select in the drop down will be the object you want to blink or flash. You then adjust the Interval and Delay in the Trigger Section to your liking.
    Duh... I was thinking about it very differently. Thank you! I believe that will work.
  • ssnegssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466
    You can see the complete setup in the screenshot below.
    As always,  you are a great help! Thanks Sergey!
    Ok - My animation is working perfectly but I need to allow the user to reset it so they can watch it from the beginning. The stop action on the timer stops the clock ticking (so to speak) but the animations based on the time intervals continues no matter what I do. Any ideas?
    Never mind folks  - I determined that the timer was irrelevant. I added the timed interval action for each object with a coordinating variable (for a one or zero typical on off switch) and it works. Thanks to everyone who helped!
  • ssnegssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466
    I was just going to suggest using a variable. Be careful though as the toggle animation can stop at the VISIBLE or HIDDEN position with a 50%/50% chance. So you might want to add another action that definitely hides (or shows, depending on what you want to achieve) the object after the blinking has been stopped by the variable.
    I noticed that in my testing but it won't matter in this instance because I have to hide the object to reset the animations on the page so learners can watch them more than once if they need to. (It's a step by step animation of a software tutorial.)
  • schapman1885schapman1885 Community Member Posts: 53
    So, I have been using this topic as a reference point for making an object blink. Because I wanted to cue the blinking based off of a button click, I implemented the Greensock idea. It runs locally, but, when I upload it to our server, it doesn't work. I get an error "Uncaught Cannot tween a null target."  I don't see the shape I am referring to in the directory that needs... however, they have been uploaded to the server. It's like it doesn't see any of the Lectora generated objects. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I am open to an alternative method to making the object blink...but, can't use the timer... because, buttons don't support that action. (So, says the compiler.).

Any help is appreciated.
  • timktimk Community Member Posts: 1,126
    Another method to make it blink with pure Lectora is to add two actions to the object:

On: Show
    Action: Hide
    Target: This object
    Delay: 0.25 seconds

On: Hide
    Action: Show
    Target: This object
    Delay: 0.25 seconds

Make it initially invisible and show it with your button. It should blink from the first click.

Check this thread how to use Greensock to make an object "pulse", as you seem to know Greensock you should have no problem to make it blink instead:

http://community.trivantis.com/forums/topic/external-javascript-not-working-in-lms/
    SB, it is most likely seamless play causing the problem. Try adding 'parent' (no quotes) ahead of 'document' in your variable declaration.

So in the example I posted above, this:

var star = document.getElementById('shape47');

becomes this:

var star = parent.document.getElementById('shape47');

Now it'll work with seamless play turned on. Hope this helps.
    Tim, Thank you for the quick and excellent response. Tucked away in that link was your response about Seamless Play. I turned that off, republished and reloaded to the server...and viola!  Excellent!!
    Darrel - YES! That also worked.  I didn't see your response until this morning. Thank you so much!