How to make buttons display in module progress

nwilliams3743
nwilliams3743 Community Member Posts: 74
Hi,

I'm still relatively new to using Lectora v16 and require some support.  I wish to have my menu buttons appear only as the learner progresses through the module.  As an example, on the first page, only the first page menu button will display.  On page 2, both buttons for p1 and p2 will display and so on.  Page 3 will display the buttons for p1, p2, p3 etc.

By the end of the module, all buttons should be displayed, and allows the learner to go back through the course to review.  At this stage, the viewer should be able to go back to p1 and this time all menu buttons should be displayed as they have gone through the whole module.  I don't want the user to click p1 to review the page and then all menu buttons disappear.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• mnotermans5114
    mnotermans5114 Community Member Posts: 916
    Hi Nick, with the use of variables this can be done.

- Make all buttons invisible at start
    - When you reach a page, met some conditions you define, show the appropriate button(s)
    - So gradually when your user progresses he sees all buttons
    - When done all button-variables are set to true, so when going back the user has access to all.

Kind regards,

Math
  • nwilliams3743
    nwilliams3743 Community Member Posts: 74
    Hi Math,

Thanks for your response.

I'm currently attempting to create the conditions but am struggling in doing so.  I cannot figure out how to set the conditions in the variables tab.  I have 5 pages.  Can you please assist in stating what the condition names should be?
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    You can show or hide the buttons based on the page status. Say you want to show button 2 only after page 2 had been visited. Create an "On Page Show" action on the title level, set it to show "GotoPage2 Button", click on Conditions, click on the variable dropdown menu on the left, click on Chapter/Section/Page line, select Page 2, set condition to "Completed". So this action will be included on every page but only fired if the learner completed page 2 ("completed" simply means he just viewed it once). Don't forget to set the button to "not initially show", otherwise what's the point :)
  • mnotermans5114
    Hi Nick, Sergey's way is a good option. Added in the zip a partially working version of Sergey's way.
    One thing i run into with Sergey's way, is that when clicking previous...it does go back in pages, but shows the next button... maybe Sergey can tell what i do wrong..

Kind regards,

Math
  • mnotermans5114
    And a version of the way i would tackle this... i do think Sergeys approach is better, but well couldnot pinpoint the issue with the previous button in it, so redid it the way i would have ;-)

If anyone can tell me why the previous button in the 'sergeysWay.zip' sample does show the next button.. i would be glad ;-)
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    > If anyone can tell me why the previous button in the ‘sergeysWay.zip’ sample does show the next button..

Because this is exactly how you set it up :) Let's say you've visited pages 1,2 and 3. You are entering page 4 now. The five actions fire, the buttons 1, 2 and 3 get shown. The button 4 is not shown, because you've just entered the page 4 so when checking the conditions, page 4 wasn't marked as completed yet. When you exit the page 4, it gets marked as "completed". Now Lectora knows you have visited pages 1,2,3 and 4. Buttons 1,2,3 and 4 will show next time. Note this "next time" thing. The next time does not mean next page. It means any other page that you visit, including previous page. Clicking "previous button" does not "undo" the status of page completion on any pages.
  • mnotermans5114
    Thx Sergey... i should do more with Lectora basics ;-)