Test not marking correctly

jgauci1481
jgauci1481 Community Member Posts: 13
I've just published my first course, but now I'm not convinced that the test is being marked accurately.  I took the course on my LMS and only got 90% on the 10 question quiz at the end.

I've gone back into the Lectora 12 and gone through the test, and the answers all look like they have the correct answers marked, but when I took the test in preview mode I got 90% again.  I narrowed the problem down to four questions in one section, took the quiz again slowly this time, answered the questions with the same answers again, and this time I got 100%.

I've gone through the quiz with instant feedback turned on (got 100%), then turned it off, took it again and got 90%.  I think the problem is with a drag and drop question I have.  If I answer it slowly, dragging the questions in the correct order I get 100%, but if I answer it in a random order quickly I get the 90%.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Comments

• jvalley4735
    jvalley4735 Community Member Posts: 1,357
    Thanks for commenting @jgauci1481 and welcome to the forums! Can you provide me with some additional information so I can help you figure out the issue? I'm going to assume from your comment that you were testing in v16 to start off with, is that correct?  Does your drag and drop question contain images or symbols? Can you tell me what browser and version your running?  Have you or can you try testing in multiple browsers to see if the issue is consistently happening in one versus the other?  It's possible the 90% score is being stored and remembered in your cache.  Can you try clearing your cache and cookies and seeing if the issue persists? Are you able to share your course files so we can do some testing as well?
  • jgauci1481
    Hi Jennifer,

I'm still in version 12 for that course (I only installed v16 this morning).

We're using IE 11, and I can't try it on another browser, as our LMS only works in IE.  I don't think the score is cached as it does change.  Like I said - I turned on the instant feedback option for each question, and got 100%, then turned it off, answered the same and got 90%.

The drag and Drop question has images.  Unfortunately I can't share the course content, but let me try to add a few screenshots.

In the section that's only scoring 75% there is one Multiple Choice question, 1 hotspot question and 2 drag and drop questions.
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,205 ♦ Idol ♦
    Sometimes tests / questions won't work properly if there are special characters in the question text or the correct answers. Do you have these "[ ]" in every question?

Tim
  • jgauci1481
    Hi Time,

I don't have them in every question - just the Drag and Drop and Matching style questions.  I've removed them from the question text and added them in using a separate text box, and I'm now scoring 100%, so that must have been it.

Thanks!
  • sinchu
    sinchu Community Member Posts: 29
    Hi Tim

What is the best solution if there is special characters in the option?
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,205 ♦ Idol ♦
    If you can't get rid of those symbols by rephrasing the option text, you can use the same approach that Joseph used. Copy the option texts to separate "normal" textfields and change the answers of your question to something like a, b, c, d. Then make all the choices "initially invisible" and show the normal textfields in their place.

Tim