xAPI: Add a custom LRS endpoint

eemde6909
eemde6909 Community Member Posts: 1
Hi,

How do I add a custom LRS endpoint so that my content can send info to other LRS(s)?
I don't see anyplace to do this, even in the TinCan javascript files.

Thanks in advance.

Erick

Comments

• t_johnb
    t_johnb [email protected] Community Member Posts: 295 ☆ Roadie ☆
    The endpoint is passed in on the launch string for the content. Normally this would be passed to the content by the hosting server, but if you intend on launching from a web server, you can customize the launch string yourself.

Attached to this Post is a PDF which describes how the launch string for xAPI is formatted.

I am working on a HTML start page for xAPI running on a standard Web Server which will make it much simpler to construct this launch string. Look for that post on my page on the community soon!
  • acorbett3701
    acorbett3701 Community Member Posts: 14
    Hello John,

I'm about to attempt what you describe above -- "I am working on a HTML start page for xAPI running on a standard Web Server" -- and I'd be very interested to hear how your work is progressing.

A few specific questions:

1) Are you using Lectora's built-in xAPI capability?  Then publishing NOT to a zip and uploading those files to your webserver?

2) Assuming the above, how are you customizing your launch string?  In other words, where are you inserting the code that customizes it?  (I'm assuming you need to manipluate the standard Lectora output?)

3) Given that it's NOT in an LMS, you must be getting your actor info elsewhere -- e.g., an AJAX call -- and inserting it into your xAPI launch string?

Any insight you are willing to share would be welcome, and I'll share what I learn as well.

Best,

andrew
  • t_johnb
    OK, I got the post finished, hopefully it has everything you are looking for. On your questions:

1) Yes, regular Lectora xAPI published content
    2) No need to manipulate the Lectora content, the launch string is generated by the HTML file.
    3) It either pulls the info from the included XML config file, or prompts the user if it is not included.

I also included a PDF that outlines everything in the command line as a bit of extra information.

Enjoy, and let me know how it works for you!
  • t_johnb
    Oh, and I guess I should put the link in as well.....

http://community.trivantis.com/shared-content/xapi-launcher/

:-)
  • acorbett3701
    acorbett3701 Community Member Posts: 14
    Hi John,

Thanks for posting this terrific info and example.  If I understand correctly, your script opens the index page generated by Lectora, passing the xAPI variables on the query string.  So, I'm inferring that the Lectora code automatically grabs those from the query string to configure the LRS "connection"?  Perhaps that's a part of the basic xAPI (or SCORM) spec that it must incorporate this functionality?

Thanks again!

andrew
  • t_johnb
    Yes that's part of xAPI, all of the info is taken from the query string. That enables it to run independently.