Distorted images from PowerPoint

ethanfloyd
ethanfloyd Community Member Posts: 4
I'd like to create a course using a PowerPoint, and I think it would be easier to save the slides as images, and just drop those images into Lectora. Whenever I use the import tool, there is just too much formatting to clean up.

In PowerPoint, I save the presentation as images for each slide, and then drop them into Lectora. However, they look distorted, and the text isn't crisp as it appear in PowerPoint or when I open one of the images directly.

I've increased the resolution at which PowerPoint saves the slide images (using microsoft's steps for updating a registry key), but that seems to have only made the images larger and didn't address the fuzziness.

Any ideas?

Any one else mass-producing courses from PowerPoint presentations?

Comments

• adod
    adod Community Member Posts: 29
    Your compression settings in the publishing options may be set at a point that is causing the issue.

Also, as for most of company just wants to put a powerpoint into a training and publish it, I would recommend Snap! It's very easy and highly functional for the price.
  • paul-minni
    paul-minni Community Member Posts: 18
    <<< ...Whenever I use the import tool, there is just too much formatting to clean up. >>>

Yeah... 'sux. Font rendered out of PPT will NEVER look good and rendering all your content to some flavor of bitmap is NOT going to do wonders for your courses' interactivity... but if you need to roll that way, remember that PPT uses inches for dimensions and renders files at 96dpi.

So, in Lectora figure out your pixel dimensions of your content area(Page size minus skin/interface) and divide by dpi to get your PPT slide dimensions. For example, a Lectora content area of 1000x563 requires a PPT page size of 10.416" by 5.864" (Width: 1000/96pixels = 10.416inches, Height: 563/96pixels = 5.864inches).

So with this custom PPT page size, you'll get images of the correct size to place within your Lectora skin. In the Lectora page editor just adjust the X,Y position to compensate for the offset from 0,0 for your particular skin.

You can do this, just as easily, in the other direction if your PPT slides are already built and your Lectora project is not.

BTW, I only use .PNGs and never let Lectora compress anything!('cept SCORM output).
  • benpitman
    benpitman Community Member Posts: 763
    If that is all you are doing, you probably have the wrong tool. Better off with something like articulate. Where are you questions where you ask the learner to apply the content? If all you are doing is lecturing to them, you might as well just save the PPT as HTML and put that on the web. To be effective you need questions set in the workplace where the learner is in the picture and you ask them what would they do, what do they think would happen or what explains that. You need one about every 5 pages or the learner will get information overload and start forgetting what you want them to remember.
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Agree with Ben. If you want a good PPT to SCORM(HTML) converter, get iSpring. It's much cheaper than Articulate and works better, too. Or go with the big brand and get Articulate Presenter. Much better value for money for your task than Lectora. Lectora is meant for training and teaching (as in active process), not for dumping information slide after slide on learners. It has actions, buttons, questions, interactions, exploration, gamification and what not.