Drop-Down Menu - Keeping it open

sjones
sjones Community Member Posts: 39
Is there any way to keep the Drop-Down Menu open showing the sub-menus and wrapping the text of the submenus???

sjones

Comments

• rhys
    rhys Community Member Posts: 49
    I have a work around for this use either text boxes or images to build a menu using actions to control behaviour. I use this approach in one of my projects, I have 5 headings, move the mouse over one heading and it displays the subs for that item, they remian displayed until the mouse is moved over one of the other headings, when this happens I have a onMouseEnter to open the other headings and close the one that was previsouly open.

Hope this makes sense? Let me know if now and I will make an example for you.
  • sjones
    sjones Community Member Posts: 39
    @Rhys 56841 wrote:
    I have a work around for this use either text boxes or images to build a menu using actions to control behaviour. I use this approach in one of my projects, I have 5 headings, move the mouse over one heading and it displays the subs for that item, they remian displayed until the mouse is moved over one of the other headings, when this happens I have a onMouseEnter to open the other headings and close the one that was previsouly open.

Rhys,

Finally someone has answered and yes, this makes sense. In fact, someone on the team came up the something very similar.

Thanks again,

sjones
  • patw
    patw Community Member Posts: 6
    @Rhys 56841 wrote:

Rhys, I don't understand how this works. Do you use invisible hotspots on the major headings or something? Are the subs displayed in a popup box or does your menu expand to accommodate the subs? If you wouldn't mind, an example would be very helpful.
  • rhys
    rhys Community Member Posts: 49
    Hi Patw,

I have attached a very basic example. In this example I built the entire menu out of buttons. The menu only has one layer to it but you can add the show/hide actions to as many levels as you like. The complexity does grow with each menu layer though so careful planning is a must!

Although in this example I have used buttons only to build the menu, in real content I use any conbination of invisible buttons, buttons, text boxes, images and tables, depending on the exact need I have. I always try to find what ever solution will give me the least number of items that would need to be controlled by show/hide actions. Taking the example attached on a bit, if there was another level under each item I would possibly use a text box with a table rather than have buttons for each item:

Heading 1

Item 1 > Cell 1

Item 2 Cell 2

Item 3 Cell 3

This way the I only need a show/hide for the text box with table rather than buttons with show/hide for each sub item.