Invisible buttons

ssneg
ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
In Lectora 12, invisible buttons are actually real image buttons set to 0% opacity. This means that for every invisible button, four state images are generated.

These images are annoying:

- they really slow down title publishing

- they clutter the /images/ folder

-they add notable size and load times to the published title (8.9Kb per button or 89Kb per page with 10 buttons or 890Kb per 10 pages with 10 buttons each).

Would it be possible to generate empty divs for invisible buttons? Or at least generate empty 1px gifs for buttons set to 0% opacity? Or something else along those lines?

Thanks!

Comments

• klaatu
    klaatu Community Member Posts: 988
    What would be the benefit of an invisible button over a shape image with its fill style set to transparent and no outline?
  • ssneg
    @Klaatu 63883 wrote:
    What would be the benefit of an invisible button over a shape image with its fill style set to transparent and no outline?

Zero benefit in Lectora 12, because in Lectora 12 an invisible button IS IN FACT a shape image set to transparent.

But if an invisible button were just a div with no graphics (like in Lectora 11), it would have the benefit of not adding 4 useless images to your course with every single button. Not a huge deal though, anyway.
  • mathieu
    mathieu Community Member Posts: 1
    I agree completely that much of this rendering is not helpful and just makes us lose time while publishing. I hope this changes in the short-term.
  • storyline
    storyline Community Member Posts: 26
    @ssneg 63745 wrote:
    These images are annoying:

- they really slow down title publishing

- they clutter the /images/ folder

-they add notable size and load times to the published title (8.9Kb per button or 89Kb per page with 10 buttons or 890Kb per 10 pages with 10 buttons each).

Would it be possible to generate empty divs for invisible buttons? Or at least generate empty 1px gifs for buttons set to 0% opacity? Or something else along those lines?

Thanks!
    I agree, Lectora should have a DIV Object and a make DIV button in the UI that requests an ID or class name before dropping it in your project!

I currently have to use a HTML Extension object then edit (add html button with a class or ID)English

or give it's 'Appearance' a class name. Which they really should have ID and Class buttons in UI.

I then have to add another another HTML extension to add my Cascading Style Sheet.

Finally, this text editor in this Forum really SUCKS!!. Freezes, delays, flashes and lags behind omitting typed characters when using IE 11 !
  • sprockets
    sprockets Community Member Posts: 31
    Agreed, however I would say this is a big issue - not a minor one. My organisation has very strict limits on size of packages, and we already run close to that most of the time. This issue is pushing some courses over the limit and we are required to compromise on content to make them smaller again.

All because of what? Images that we do not need or even see? That's just crazy.
  • ssneg
    @sprockets, I just tried deleting all the default unused blue button images from a published course and it still worked fine. Buttons clicked alright in Chrome and IE9, no visual artifacts. Of course, there were a lot of "file not found messages" in the Dev console in Chrome but learners aren't affected by it.

So you might try simply deleting those images instead of compromising on content.
  • sprockets
    sprockets Community Member Posts: 31
    @ssneg, thanks for the advice. I will pass it on to the rest of the team.