Shadows on shown text (show/hide action)

lss
lss Community Member Posts: 10
Hi all,

I'm experiencing a vexing issue with some show/hide text on one of our published course pages (graphic below). The page displays colored boxes (buttons) that the user clicks to reveal (show) hidden text. The revealed text has a degraded quality, with a white shadow on all letters. This does not occur on any other pages with show/hide text on other types of boxes or graphical elements -- only with these colored boxes. Also, the same text settings are used for most of those other text boxes, such as "always on top," "initially hidden," "convert text to image," etc. Since those other text boxes aren't having this problem, I don't think these settings are at fault. Any thoughts?

I'm using Lectora Inspire 11.3.2 (trial version, until my license comes through) and Saba LMS.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

Lisa

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587[/ATTACH]

Comments

• benpitman
    benpitman Community Member Posts: 763
    Not seen that. If you can save the page as a library object and then send it to me, I would be glad to take a look. email addr below.
  • lss
    lss Community Member Posts: 10
    @benpitman 61299 wrote:
    Not seen that. If you can save the page as a library object and then send it to me, I would be glad to take a look. email addr below.

Hi Ben,

Thank you so much for your response. Actually, I played around more with this and resolved the issue late yesterday. (Or at least, I think it's resolved -- lest my fix leads to other issues!) It seems to be a problem with the "convert text to image" setting after all, particularly for text boxes with a transparent background that sit on top of other medium or dark-colored objects or elements (boxes, page backgrounds). The pixelation/shadowing isn't as noticeable on our lighter colored objects (e.g. light gray or light yellow boxes).

I'll document here what I think are two possible fixes, in case anyone else encounters this problem:

Resolution 1: Disable the “convert text to image” setting for the text box. The side effect that ISDs should be aware of is that this will render the text as selectable, which the learner could select and copy/paste elsewhere. Also, I believe it will require the learner to have the font on their system, so this resolution is not suitable if the text box involves a rare or non-standard font.

Resolution 2: Change the background of the text box to match the box or other object on which it sits. Late yesterday, I stumbled on a forum post that described a similar issue with text to image, but reported continued pixelation after using this method. However, I’m not seeing this with our course, so matching the background is the resolution we're going with for now. A few stipulations with this: If the text box is on top of another object (e.g. a wide, very short box, in my case), the object must be a single, solid color (e.g. no patterns) and must be large enough that the text box can reside entirely within the border of the object beneath, or the edges of the colored text box will be visible.

Thanks again for your response, Ben!

Lisa