Lmit Test to 3 Attempts

bwiest
bwiest Community Member Posts: 3
In my title I have a final exam that I would like to set to only 3 attempts to pass. I have a questions bank of 68 questions that I have restricted to 25 randomly selected. Can this be accomplished with variables, and how would that work? I would rather do it this way because I would have to manually enter all the questions in to the LMS to have the functionality of limiting attempts.

Comments

• dfleary
    dfleary Community Member Posts: 82
    Yes, you can do this.

1. Create a user-defined variable called Test_Attempts (or something like that you'll recognize). Set the initial value =0. Retain the value between sessions.

2. Create a "You have exhausted your test attempts..." page after the last "real" page of your title. Make sure that the student cannot navigate to this page in any way. Also, the only available button on this page should be to return the student to the first page in your title (or something like that).

3. At the test level add a couple actions:

* On Show, Modify Variable Test_Attempts, Add 1 to variable

* On Show, Go To "You have exhausted your test attempts..." page, Condition Test_Attempts >3.

The first time they take the test the value will change from 0 to 1. No problem.

The second time they take the test the value will change from 1 to 2. No problem.

The third time they take the test the value will change from 2 to 3. No problem.

The fourth time they try the test the value will change from 3 to 4. Since 4 is greater than 3 the course will jump to your "too many tries" page.