WARNING ! you are trying to open a version 12 project in version XXX

storyline
storyline Community Member Posts: 26
I would like to thank the design team for making Lectora 12 look exactly like version 11.X

I have both version installed on my Computer.

After clicking the .awt (version12) file in my Windows folder. Windows opened it in Lectora 11.X

Since the design team didn't change the layout, color or look (or even an icon image indicating it is version 12)

I continued changing thing not noticing that buttons, shapes, etc. had been stripped out of explorer.

I saved the file and then spent half a day rebuilding it in version 12. Thanks !

1. Display a WARNING "WARNING ! you are trying to open a version 12 project in version XXX" or DO NOT EVEN ALLOW NEWER VERSION TO OPEN IN OLD VERSIONS !!!
  2. MAKE THE COLOR OR LOOK AT LEAST SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT to make sure we know what version we are working in !!!!
  3. a splash screen will not cut it as half the time we are looking elsewhere when programs are opening !!!

Comments

• ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Pro tip: keep your projects in Dropbox, this way you can revert to any version you saved in the past 30 days. Saved my work many times with many kinds of files, not only Lectora.
  • storyline
    storyline Community Member Posts: 26
    @ssneg 64121 wrote:
    Pro tip: keep your projects in Dropbox, this way you can revert to any version you saved in the past 30 days. Saved my work many times with many kinds of files, not only Lectora.

I use external USB drive and Windows 8.1 History. Unfortunately, seems to backup whenever it fells like it. (Idea time) So I can be working all day and no History backup until the evening.

I also use IE11 so when I reply or post message in this forum, I type in Notepad++ then paste it into this stupid forum editor.

Please fix this forums editor so my message do not look as follows :

I se xternl US dri an indows 81 Hisry. fortuna, ses t bac wh ev it fs li i (Id tie) S I can be wog al dy an no Hory bacp uil e eing.
  • tecocat
    tecocat Community Member Posts: 389 ♪ Opening Act ♪
    @storyline 64116 wrote:
    I would like to thank the design team for making Lectora 12 look exactly like version 11.X

I have both version installed on my Computer.

After clicking the .awt (version12) file in my Windows folder. Windows opened it in Lectora 11.X

Since the design team didn't change the layout, color or look (or even an icon image indicating it is version 12)

I continued changing thing not noticing that buttons, shapes, etc. had been stripped out of explorer.

I saved the file and then spent half a day rebuilding it in version 12. Thanks !
    1. Display a WARNING "WARNING ! you are trying to open a version 12 project in version XXX" or DO NOT EVEN ALLOW NEWER VERSION TO OPEN IN OLD VERSIONS !!!
    2. MAKE THE COLOR OR LOOK AT LEAST SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT to make sure we know what version we are working in !!!!
    3. a splash screen will not cut it as half the time we are looking elsewhere when programs are opening !!!

Since the developers don't recommend having both versions installed (although I certainly see why one would and probably will myself, as I did with 11 and the version that came before that), they probably won't be interested in making any of the changes you're suggesting.

However, here are a couple of tips that I've figured out from having at least two versions of Lectora installed on my computer at the same time...

First, double-clicking the .awt file will usually open the file in whichever version you last used (for any .awt file, not necessarily that one). So, if you know that the last time you used Lectora, you used Lectora 11, but you want the .awt file to open in Lectora 12, don't open it by double-clicking on it. Instead, open Lectora 12 first, then open the file you want to work on.

Second, (pretty much related to the end of the first tip), if you're really worried about this, you might just want to get into the habit of opening Lectora and then opening the file you want, rather than double-clicking an .awt file. I know this takes more steps, but I guess it's the price we pay for deciding to have dual installations! :p

Hope this helps!

Laura
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    I've only built one project in Lectora 12 so far (Lectora User Conference app), and it went smoothly. No crashes, no bugs (except some visual glitches in the text editor on very long pages, over 2000 pixels high).

The most annoying part in new Lectora 12 is that it has to re-publish all invisible buttons (and I have dozens if not hundreds of those) as images, which makes publishing and re-publishing much longer than in v11, even when you select "publish only updated pages". Discuss here: http://lectora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24422

What I really like is how you can position elements outside the page and animate them into the page when need be (this is how the app menu is built). I also love the new HTML-based preview, where scripts work as expected. Also, a lot of people will benefit from the new button generators and image editing functionality.

Since I do not use most of the new image-related functionality (e.g. cropping or rotation), or SCORM functionality, or use IE to view the courses, or use weird LMS that push browsers into quirks mode like SumTotal, I cannot say whether there are any issues there.

I also have 11 and 12 installed in parallel and I have no problems with it. I do exactly what you suggested. I first launch the Lectora I need and then open the file in it. I make sure that some projects are ONLY opened in 11 and others are ONLY opened in 12. Opening a v11 project in v12 is risky, so do a lot of QA on your first publish. The worst thing you can do is open an old 11 project in 12, do a quick edit and push it to LMS. Make sure you have time for QA when you are transitioning a project originally built in v11 onto v12. And you cannot go back, i.e. you cannot edit a project in v12 and then safely open it in v11.

All in all, I think Lectora are making good progress and are reasonably quick to respond to issues with patches.