Using a screen reader to pick up page text

tomstembridge
tomstembridge Community Member Posts: 3
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but I think this might be the best place to start to ask you all about my issue.

If possible, I need to implement the flash screen reader into my Lectora module so that it picks up and reads the actual on screen text of each page in the course.

I've added the screen reader detector.swf to the base layer of my project however on running the course I'm receiving the 'HAVE NOT' text indicating that the detector currently cannot be found. I'm using the JAWS screen reader to test this out.

I was wondering if I'm going about this the correct way? As far as I can tell, the flash file is set up correctly. Am I missing anything within the .fla or Lectora project that is required for my page text to be picked up?

I was also wondering if JAWS is the best reader to use to test this functionality out?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able you provide...it would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Tom

Comments

• tomstembridge
    tomstembridge Community Member Posts: 3
    Hi again everyone,

Further to more research and testing and general understanding, I have JAWS screen reader successfully picking up page content. It's also skipping past content that I don't want it to read however the content skip solution for this wasn't ideal.

My issue now is that I'm unable to get JAWS to read page content when I publish to SCORM 1.2 and test the module on Scorm Cloud...due to frameset issues which others have experienced. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this issue or if they have found a way of getting around this problem?

Thank you again.
  • _
    _ Community Member Posts: 84
    Hey Tom,

I've also had some recent dramas with JAWS and SCORM not playing nicely - it reads fine in a HTML export but gets stuck outside the SCORM frame in IE.

In the end I added an action to the top level of the file (OnShow go to 'Skip to Main Content' button). This worked but caused some strange issues with my navigation that I was eventually able to figure out.

You can also use Javascript to force the focus to a specific element but I couldn't get this working for the life of me.

Hope this helps!