When does Lectora pass variable values and set bookmark of place in course to LMS?

russell
russell Community Member Posts: 28
Hi,

I was testing a course and my computer crashed in mid-course which got me wondering about when Lectora passes variable values to the LMS and when the LMS bookmarks a person's location in the course.

Do these happen when actions are run, page by page or when the course is exited?

My course directs users through a number of steps with some latitude at each step to make some personal choices but in the end they must complete a set number of actions to complete a step before moving on. I am concerned that if their computer crashes, they will be sent back to the beginning if the LMS hasn't received the status variables or location bookmark.

Thanks

Comments

• kellykungfu
    kellykungfu Community Member Posts: 83
    @Russell 59752 wrote:
    Hi,

I was testing a course and my computer crashed in mid-course which got me wondering about when Lectora passes variable values to the LMS and when the LMS bookmarks a person's location in the course.

Do these happen when actions are run, page by page or when the course is exited?

My course directs users through a number of steps with some latitude at each step to make some personal choices but in the end they must complete a set number of actions to complete a step before moving on. I am concerned that if their computer crashes, they will be sent back to the beginning if the LMS hasn't received the status variables or location bookmark.

Thanks

Hi Russell,

Generally when your system receives the a LMS commit command. If you have a computer crash, power outage, lost connection the LMS will not get the LMS commit command and more than likely lose any work the learner has completed. Its a good idea to do a javascript:LMSCommit() periodically throughout the course to save any suspend data. Another benefit, is that it'll also manually push the elapsed time to your LMS. Oh another instance of Lectora doing it automatically is when you have a scored test/quiz as soon as the the score is pushed, the commit is also done automatically.

Hope this helps.

-kelly
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Kelly is right.

You can add a title level action "On Show - Run JavaScript - LMSCommit()" so that data is pushed to LMS on each page load. This will also prevent session timeout on longer courses, because if the LMS does not receive anything from a course for a long time, it will assume the learner disconnected, kill the session and will NOT store any data from the course afterwards, even if it tries to send something to the LMS.
  • russell
    russell Community Member Posts: 28
    Hi,

If I understand correctly, I could use either of these actions.

On Show - Run JavaScript - LMSCommit()

On Show - Go to Web address - javascript:LMSCommit();

Do I have the syntax correct? Is there a preferred method between the two?

Thanks
  • kellykungfu
    @Russell 59823 wrote:
    Hi,

If I understand correctly, I could use either of these actions.

On Show - Run JavaScript - LMSCommit()

On Show - Go to Web address - javascript:LMSCommit();

Do I have the syntax correct? Is there a preferred method between the two?

Thanks

Hi Russell,

I actually have a group of items at the root level that contains the 'Go to Web Address' version. Also in that grouping I have a variable that increments every time it is executed so that I can use it for troubleshooting purposes. I also have another variable that saves the learners' operating system, browser type and browser version. You might wonder why all the fuss.... My main course has well over 160,000 completions per year that is needed to be completed every year starting in January. In fact, our YTD for this course has 25,000 already. I use this information and then some to improve the course year to year.
  • ssneg
    I tested this recently and noticed that Lectora 11.3.1 issues LMSCommit automatically on page change, by the way.
  • kellykungfu
    @ssneg 59915 wrote:
    I tested this recently and noticed that Lectora 11.3.1 issues LMSCommit automatically on page change, by the way.

I just checked, using Lectora 11.2a with Saba 6.1 and the LMSCommit is not done automatically going from page to page. I have a course with about 50 pages and when looking at the LMS log file, it should have 50 or more LMS commits but it does not. Then again, this is probably because I'm on Service Pack 2 and not 3.

If memory serves me right, there were enough issues with Service Pack 3 that I did not want that installed. I think Ben mentioned that for his clients on 11.2 and him on 11.3, there were random actions that were just plain missing when the client opened up the title. This is something that I would definitely stay away from.

-kelly
  • ssneg
    @kellykungfu 60337 wrote:
    Ben mentioned that for his clients on 11.2 and him on 11.3, there were random actions that were just plain missing when the client opened up the title.
    This is true. Happenned to me. However, this could already be fixed in 11.3.2.