Incessant "pinging" in Lectora 11.3.1

nataliep
nataliep Community Member Posts: 5
Can someone please explain a) why Lectora is now pinging at me all of the time and b) how to make it stop.

A fellow developer says the program pings when she accesses grouped objects; however, I also get a ping when I move from one page to another, or from an image or button to a text box. The ding is driving me nuts, and I don't see a way to turn it off in the Preferences dialogue box.

Comments

• lauram
    lauram Community Member Posts: 149
    I'm not sure off the bat why this is happening, and I'll inquire with our development team.

In the meantime, there is a way to turn off these sounds. Within your Control Panel - open the Sound option. On the Sounds tab in the Program Events list - you will see a Default Beep and an Exclamation - I believe these are the pings you are hearing. You can choose a new sound from the drop-down that is more pleasant, or simply select "None". Just keep in mind this will effect the sound globally, not just for Lectora.
  • mgilbert
    mgilbert Community Member Posts: 33 ☆ Roadie ☆
    error ping with no rhyme or reason
  • rwalters
    rwalters Community Member Posts: 276
    I used to get this all the time too. I turned off the error ping awhile ago, but not sure why this happens in the first place.
  • eric190
    eric190 Community Member Posts: 27
    I'm getting this ping as well starting when I upgraded from 11.3 to 11.3.1
  • tecocat
    tecocat Community Member Posts: 416 ✶ Headliner ✶
    I'd rather not turn off the sound altogether (because it's helpful when I actually have an error), but I don't know why it pings/dings whenever I select multiple objects -- that's really annoying! I guess I should send an email to Trivantis tech support about that (unless someone else already has?)...
  • lauram
    lauram Community Member Posts: 149
    Hi Laura - I've documented this in our bug tracking system and our QA team is looking into it. If you can provide us with any additional specifics - version number, OS, reproducible scenarios, that would be great. Thanks!
  • tecocat
    tecocat Community Member Posts: 416 ✶ Headliner ✶
    @lauram 60326 wrote:
    Hi Laura - I've documented this in our bug tracking system and our QA team is looking into it. If you can provide us with any additional specifics - version number, OS, reproducible scenarios, that would be great. Thanks!

Thanks, Laura...I sent an email to tech support about half an hour ago, which included the version I'm using (11.3.2). Basically, any time I select multipile single objects (and then, again, any time I do something to those multiple selected objects, like move them) I get a "ding" sound. (Interestingly, I just discovered that this doesn't happen if any of the selected objects is a group). This happens regardless of whether I select the objects on the page itself or using the Title Explorer.

Oh, and I'm running Windows 7, if that helps....
  • storyline
    storyline Community Member Posts: 26
    @nataliep 59729 wrote:
    Can someone please explain a) why Lectora is now pinging at me all of the time and b) how to make it stop.

A fellow developer says the program pings when she accesses grouped objects; however, I also get a ping when I move from one page to another, or from an image or button to a text box. The ding is driving me nuts, and I don't see a way to turn it off in the Preferences dialogue box.

Everytime I clicked a chapter (PINGGGG!) Seems the Chapter name had a Colon in the Title.

I removed the colon and no more PINGGGG!

Don't know if other characters will cause this (a colon is not even a special character)

Just tested it again seem commas, hyphen etc. are not allows.

That's at least is one bug you should be aware of.
  • kellykungfu
    kellykungfu Community Member Posts: 83
    @storyline 61884 wrote:
    Everytime I clicked a chapter (PINGGGG!) Seems the Chapter name had a Colon in the Title.

I removed the colon and no more PINGGGG!

Don't know if other characters will cause this (a colon is not even a special character)

Just tested it again seem commas, hyphen etc. are not allows.

That's at least is one bug you should be aware of.

Good detective work! I'm on a Win 7 machine with Lectora 11.2a, tried inserting a : in various spots in a page's title and also a chapter's title and no ping...

-kelly
  • krixquet
    krixquet Community Member Posts: 136
    Funny - I had noticed the ping but never really thought about it because I leave my headphones on all the time but don't always have them on my ears until I need to listen to something. I actually forgot about the ping. Now, I am on 11.3.2 and haven't noticed it. Guess it went away.
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,237 ✭ Legend ✭
    I thought it was time to bring this up again for v18. Can you please do something about the pings?

It still pings whenever theres is a non-alphabet character or number in an objects name. The only symbols that don't cause it seem to be "_" and "–".