HTML5 Output for PCs AND Tablets?

sjp
sjp Community Member Posts: 5
My company is in the process of trying to create tablet versions of our current online courses. What would be the best way to go about taking 50+ existing Lectora courses(some Enterprise and some Inspire...and some with .swf files...) and preparing them for tablet usage? The course dimensions on all of them are 770 x 575. I realize that I am going to have to make several adjustments for mouse overs, button sizes, etc. I am more concerned with having .swf files not being able to output on tablets since they are Flash. I have tried "Swiffy" on a few flash files for a test run, but some files are so complex or old that they do not output into HTML5 properly.

Also, my boss is trying to have us from here on out NOT use .swf files and just HTML5 based elements/components...is that possible through Flypaper?

Most courses are published through scorm. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

I am obviously new to this whole building courses for tablets and what is and isn't possible, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    Hi!

1. 770x575 will fit nicely on most tablets, so you don't have to worry about that. Of course, if you make controls bigger, you might need more space. On iPads you can go upto about 1024x690.

2. You will have to do a lot of testing. Mouseovers won't work (although they should appear on touch), sounds won't autoplay (users have to actually click a button), 3-frame-gif buttons might glitch. Scrollable text areas and drag-n-drops won't probably work.

3. Swiffy is an amazing tool, but as you noted, some files will have to be re-built. It's probably for the better, because updating swiffy converted html5 output is a nightmare (or you have to update the Flash files, then convert them again).

4. Your boss is right, today there is no point in using Flash in basically any situation, it just makes production more expensive (between Adobe Flash Pro licences and actual hours required to build the same output and of course not being able to support mobile devices).

5. Flypaper doesn't output interactive content to HTML5, only EXE or SWF but it can produce non-interactive mp4 videos that play nicely on mobile devices without Flash.

Finally, my two cents: usually it's a good idea to convert courses to html5 as part of their lifecycle. Wait until it's due for content update and general overhaul, and then convert it to HTML5 as part of the process. It makes it cheaper and you don't have to return to the same course twice. And since it's a longer process, you will have enought time to redo all courses with a small team.

If you need a bigger team or larger capacity for specific tasks, just let me know :)