strange quiz result: scoring discrepancy

cpliu
cpliu Community Member Posts: 237
We have quizzes with instant feedback after answering each question. We had multiple reports (although a very small percentage) that someone had scored a passing grade but the result showed a lower score. for example: missed only 2 questions and should be 80% but the result showed only 50% and failed; or thought he got 100% but displayed 95%.

We checked the source file, XML answer keys and they all matched.

Have you encountered something similar and if so what was the cause and solution?

Thanks for the help,

Comments

• rwalters
    rwalters Community Member Posts: 276
    For whatever reason, the test is probably resetting or otherwise clearing the variables midway through the test. This happens frequently to us when someone attempts to reopen the course while taking the test. The first page of our modules always resets the test. Accordingly it's always the first difficult question that has all blank questions beforehand.

Occasionally I've run into weird issues where the test just gets wacky and starts resetting. This seems to have happened in between updates. Republishing with the current version of Lectora has sometimes helped in this case.
  • cpliu
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • rwalters
    rwalters Community Member Posts: 276
    Do you have an action anywhere in your title that resets the test? I should clarify that I purposely inserted that action on the first page as we don't want an open book test.
  • cpliu
    No, we don't have any resets in the quiz. Thanks!
  • timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,175 ☆ Superstar ☆
    You should check your questions whether the question text or the text of the correct answers contain any special characters like "è" or "â". I have also witnessed problems if " or ' appear in the question / correct answer text. Also check if you have published the test with "Title manager frame" and "Javascript Title Manager". Although these can be unchecked if the test is not randomized, it's not properly processed without it.

Tim