Trying to make things work together

justspiffy
justspiffy Community Member Posts: 33
Hey everyone,

So I have been faced with countless problem using Lectora, and I finally resolve one and it breaks something.

Here is what I am faced with right now, I am hoping someone can help me figure this out.

I have multiple slides, most have an audio track but not every slide. I have a play/pause button for the audio for the slides that have it because that is the only non static thing on the page. There are just images and text along with the audio. The client wants the slides to play through and automatically advance to the next slide. I figured I would just be able to count how long the audio was, and set it to advance after X amount of seconds....

But the problem with that is, if the user pauses the audio then it will advance to the next slide without finishing the audio!!

Is there a way to put a play/pause button on the whole slide, not just on the audio?? So it will pause everything when clicked including pausing the count down to advancing to the next slide??

Or is there a better way I should be doing this??

Any help would be great!

Comments

• timk
    timk Community Member Posts: 1,195 ♦ Idol ♦
    The usual way would again be to use an action attached to the audio

On: Done Playing

Action: Go to

Target: Next page

I don't think there is a way to pause a timer. And the timer starts the moment the page is loaded. In dependance on the file size of the audio, there will be a small delay before the sound is started so you'd need at least a timer that takes a little longer to finish than the length of the audio.

Tim
  • lauram
    lauram Community Member Posts: 149
    Another option is to add an event to the end of the Audio. Then program the event's action to Go To the Next Page.

Can you tell us what version of Lectora you are using and what file type for your audio?
  • justspiffy
    @timk 50897 wrote:
    The usual way would again be to use an action attached to the audio

On: Done Playing

Action: Go to

Target: Next page

I don't think there is a way to pause a timer. And the timer starts the moment the page is loaded. In dependance on the file size of the audio, there will be a small delay before the sound is started so you'd need at least a timer that takes a little longer to finish than the length of the audio.

Tim

The problem with the Done Playing, is that not every slide has audio. Though I suppose for the slides with no audio I could just set it to advance after a certain amount of time. Was hoping there would be a "one size fits all" fix, but I will try these two ways for the different slides and see if it will function.

I am using version 11 with .wav files for the audio.
  • timk
    Just saw: In Lectora 11 you can use a timer object. The timer object can be paused by click on a button. The solution with On: Done playing of the audio would still be more elegant.

Tim
  • justspiffy
    @timk 50900 wrote:
    Just saw: In Lectora 11 you can use a timer object. The timer object can be paused by click on a button. The solution with On: Done playing of the audio would still be more elegant.

Tim

Strange. I put the "done playing" on the audio and ran. When I hit pause, about 2 seconds later it jumps to the next slide. Doesnt seem to be working for me.

The play/pause button I am using is the "display" of the audio. That is the only way I could make it pause properly. Maybe that is the problem??
  • timk
    I just tested it with Lectora 11 and an mp3. No problems. I used the player to pause / play the audio and tried a custom button as well. For me it goes to the next page when the audio is finished.

Tim
  • justspiffy
    @timk 50903 wrote:
    I just tested it with Lectora 11 and an mp3. No problems. I used the player to pause / play the audio and tried a custom button as well. For me it goes to the next page when the audio is finished.

Tim

Did you play it within lectora or did you publish it for it to work?

I had only tried within the program and it wasn't working, but maybe I needed to publish it for it to work.

I will try it again tmw morning!
  • justspiffy
    @timk 50903 wrote:

Tim

I was able to get it to work when published. I first used my custom image, but whenever I would hit the play/pause button, it would stop but then start up again from the beginning of the audio track.

When I used the controller for the display of the audio, and clicked pause and play again it would start up from where it left off.

Should I assume its because I am using an image that it will always start from the beginning again??
  • timk
    Maybe it's due to the .wav audios. When I tested with a custom button the player would react appropriately. So I could use the button to pause and the player to play the audio and vice versa. It should make no difference using an image instead of a button as the action is the same.

Tim