Posting completion to LMS?

Hello all,

I have been using Lectora for years, developing lessons for a standalone presentation platform. We are now moving to an LMS and I am lost. For the short term, we are simply taking those standalone lessons, republishing them to be SCORM compliant (I added the variable in the certificate for the student name), and will post them to run on the LMS. For the lessons we need to post right away, it is only a matter of completion, not passing or failing a test (but we do have those types of lessons I will have to deal with in the future). I have a certificate set in my Lectora file to print on completion (again, that pulls the student name from the LMS), but how do I report back to the LMS that the lesson was completed? And if I just provide an exit button at the end of the Lectora lesson, will that take the student back to the LMS site or shut the browser window completely? If the latter, how do I get them back to the LMS?

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

Comments

• kaaij
    kaaij Community Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

It's been 2 weeks since you posted this question so I hope you have solved it by now.

But if not have you tried to add an action to the print certificate button witch modifies the AICC_Lesson_Status in passed (Scorm 1.2, it depends wich SCORM standard you choose).

Hope this helps
  • ssneg
    ssneg Community Member Posts: 1,466 ☆ Roadie ☆
    @DQuattrin 49382 wrote:
    1. how do I report back to the LMS that the lesson was completed?

2. And if I just provide an exit button at the end of the Lectora lesson, will that take the student back to the LMS site or shut the browser window completely?
    Hi Debbie,

to answer your first question, you have to add the following action:

Modify Variable > AICC_Lesson_Status > "completed" (no quotes, no capitals, exactly like that)

It is up to you where and how you want that action to execute - maybe on showing last page, or maybe on clicking 'Print certificate' button, or some other way. If the learner exits before that action takes place, LMS will track his status as 'incomplete'.

Additionally, some LMS may require that you set the score for the course as well. This is how:

Modify Variable > AICC_Score > "100" (no quotes, exactly like that). I suggest you do it simultaneously with the first action.

Now for your second question, Lectora demands that you have the Exit Activity action somewhere. In most LMS, clicking it will result in:

- closing the course pop-up window (if the course was launched in a separate window from LMS window)

- returning to the course start page in your LMS (if the course was open in the same window as your LMS)

It should definitely not close the browser.

In many cases, your LMS will offer its own 'Close course' button, or maybe your learners will just close the browser window that holds the course. In either case, Lectora should be able to catch that action, save all variables and finalize the course normally.

So in most cases you don't really need to confuse your learners by putting another 'Exit' button in your course. Let them close the window as usual. It'll be okay. But since Lectora requires you to have that action anyway, you can just put it on an invisible button and hide it somewhere.