Keyboard Input???

jawad
jawad Community Member Posts: 73
Is it possible to use the keyboard keys to interact with a course? For example using the 'Delete' key to hide an object from the course.

Comments

• thombeales
    thombeales Community Member Posts: 41
    You can set up an action to fire on a certain keystroke, shift W, or whatever. I've done it for an alternate navigation method. Ctrl - Right Arrow to go forward.
  • mountaineer
    mountaineer Community Member Posts: 42
    @ThomBeales 49423 wrote:
    You can set up an action to fire on a certain keystroke, shift W, or whatever. I've done it for an alternate navigation method. Ctrl - Right Arrow to go forward.

That particular action, "Keystroke" in Lectora Inspire v.11, does not appear to allow the use of the "enter key". (Works fine with the arrow keys, though).

I'm trying to build a simulation in which the user enters data into a field and then presses the "enter" key to advance to the next screen. Building and testing data collection from a field is simple to do in Lectora.

But does anyone know of a way to allow the "enter key" to advance the user to the next screen in a title?
  • thombeales
    thombeales Community Member Posts: 41
    @mountaineer 49426 wrote:
    That particular action, "Keystroke" in Lectora Inspire v.11, does not appear to allow the use of the "enter key". (Works fine with the arrow keys, though).

I'm trying to build a simulation in which the user enters data into a field and then presses the "enter" key to advance to the next screen. Building and testing data collection from a field is simple to do in Lectora.

But does anyone know of a way to allow the "enter key" to advance the user to the next screen in a title?

Not sure if it's good programming but I made it work sort off at least! I have a page with questions on it. I created an action that works when you press any key, not just enter, but added a condition that the questions can not be blank. If the user had instructions to answer the questions and press enter it would work. I think fill ins are different though and the data is not saved until you leave the field.
  • benpitman
    benpitman Community Member Posts: 763
    The Enter key not working is a bug and I just submitted it to Trivantis.
  • mountaineer
    Thanks Thom and Ben.

Thom, alas, this is a data entry software simulation so virtually all my data fields are "fill-in-the-blanks". But for other question types, this would work well.

Ben, thanks for passing this on to Support. Please let us know what you find out.
  • benpitman
    I did discover that On Keystroke actions using Enter import properly. I opened an old course using Lectora X and created an On Key action using Enter. then just copied and pasted it into 11. Seemed to work fine. I did not do a lot with it but it did go to the next page as needed. For now, maybe you could create one in X and then use it where you need it now until they get that fixed.
  • mountaineer
    @benpitman 49442 wrote:
    I did discover that On Keystroke actions using Enter import properly. I opened an old course using Lectora X and created an On Key action using Enter. then just copied and pasted it into 11. Seemed to work fine. I did not do a lot with it but it did go to the next page as needed. For now, maybe you could create one in X and then use it where you need it now until they get that fixed.

I just sent you an email about this...
  • benpitman
    Just replied. If you don't get it, let me know.
  • mountaineer
    Works like it's supposed to do, Ben.

Thanks.
  • jawad
    @ThomBeales 49423 wrote:

Can you please give an example of how to do this?

Thanks
  • benpitman
    put an action on the page or chapter so it is inherited if you want it on all pages.

Action: On Keystroke; then enter your keystroke and what you want it to do.
  • jawad
    Is the keystroke action limited to just 'pages' or can the action be used on an image, text box etc?
  • benpitman
    If you put it on an object, what do you mean by that? How would you expect that to react? i.e. how can you click Page Down on an object? I do not understand what you are wanting it to do?
  • benpitman
    Just use an fill in the blank question and all the features are built in. Use the Max attempts to go to the next page. There is one for anything and now one for numbers only.