Lightbox move problem

richv
richv Community Member Posts: 3
Fix lightbox so that it can be moved around on the screen in IE. On our US Army project, the Army computers are only allowed to have IE as their browser and they are not allowed to run .exe files. So all the WBT has to be html-based and run in IE. We cannot get a lightbox to function properly in IE. If a user tries to move a lightbox, it immediately jumps to the top of the screen and the header for the lightbox window goes off the top of the screen, which makes the close button inaccessible. If the user moves the mouse pointer off the top of the screen to try to click-and-drag the lightbox window back down, the lightbox window will only move horizontally along the top of the main browser window. There is no way that the user can then close the lightbox window. So they have to close the lesson and reopen it.

Why did Lectora do away with the standard Web 2.0 window that is in previous versions? That standard pop-up window always worked perfectly. Since Inspire automatically converts all the pop-ups (in lessons created in previous versions of Lectora) to Lightboxes, we have to convert all of them to "new browser" windows. The problem with new browers windows is that they trigger the pop-up blocker. Since the Army does not allow the pop-up blocker to be turned off, all of our learners have to constantly click three times to get through the pop-up blocker messages so that they can read and/or interact with the pop-up page. Lightbox was not inteneded to be used with interactive content, such as glossaries and pop-ups that contain links to other pop-ups, which is something that the old style Web 2.0 pop-ups did perfectly.

This problem is creating so much aggrivation and additional work to correct the pop-up problem that we are considering ditching Inspire and going back to a previous version of Lectora.

Can anyone please tell me how we can easily get back the traditional Web 2.0 window in Inspire?

Comments

• cdenman
    cdenman Community Member Posts: 1
    Hi Rich. We are encountering the same issue and are frustrated by it as well. It seems to happen in IE8, but not in IE7 or Firefox 10. I have not tested it in other browsers. Both my company and our client use IE8 as our standard browser. I went through support and the ultimate resolution was that there was not anything they could do to address the issue now, but would put in a request with a developer to possibly get the issue addressed in a future patch. I said in response that this is a significant issue for us and our client and it really does need to get fixed.

Thanks, Chris.
  • richv
    richv Community Member Posts: 3
    @cdenman 49230 wrote:
    Hi Rich. We are encountering the same issue and are frustrated by it as well. It seems to happen in IE8, but not in IE7 or Firefox 10. I have not tested it in other browsers. Both my company and our client use IE8 as our standard browser. I went through support and the ultimate resolution was that there was not anything they could do to address the issue now, but would put in a request with a developer to possibly get the issue addressed in a future patch. I said in response that this is a significant issue for us and our client and it really does need to get fixed.

Thanks, Chris.

Chris,

It is too bad that Trivantis did not include the standard Web 2.0 popup capability in Inspire. It worked perfectly for us in IE 8. Our client also is using IE 8 exclusively. So now that Trivantis has excluded standard Web 2.0 popups (including all their property settings) we are hosed. We even tried to use the "Display Page in Popup" Command selection. It works fine in the executable, but becomes a new browser page in html with all the default items (tool bars, etc.) turned on. And, of course, Inspire does not provide any access to the properties for "Display Page in Popup," so you can't turn its properties on or off. But that doesn't matter to us anyway, because the popup is not really a popup--it is a new browser window, which causes the popup blocker in IE to activate. And since our client's users cannot turn off the popup blocker, they have to click 3 times for every popup (when it is a new browser window) to get to the popup. However, if we had the old Web 2.0 popups (which are actual popups and not new browser windows), we would not have that problem. It would have been nice if Trivantis had asked its customers if they need the original Web 2.0 popups before they removed that capability from Lectora Inspire.

Thanks, RichV
  • timkindberg
    timkindberg Community Member Posts: 2
    @RichV 49235 wrote:
    It is too bad that Trivantis did not include the standard Web 2.0 popup capability in Inspire.

Hi Rich, I'm sorry you've had to experience such an annoying bug. Actually the Lightbox is the exact same feature as Web 2.0 popups. We just renamed it because honestly lighbox is a more common term. Other than the name change only the bug in IE8 is new. This is certainly something we need to fix and I'll try to have fixed by our 11.1 update.

@RichV 49235 wrote:
    We even tried to use the "Display Page in Popup" Command selection. It works fine in the executable, but becomes a new browser page in html with all the default items (tool bars, etc.) turned on.

The Display Page in Popup was a new action we added to have a quick and easy way (in addition to the still available Go To > Open in Popup). You can have Display Page in Popup use the lightbox style by turning it on in the publish settings. But of course the IE8 bug will still exist.

Finally, in the meantime I was able to code up a short term fix for you. Please download this Library Object and place it at your title level and make sure to inherit it to all pages. It should fix it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374[/ATTACH]
  • kennyr
    kennyr Community Member Posts: 2
    Hi timkindberg,

We had a similar problem to RichV with the lightbox popups in IE 8/9 - you fix however resolved the issue. We are however still having problems in IE with the lightbox popup when using Lectora within Moodle - the scroll bars are displayed, a few pixel widths are missing from the top bar and conversely a few extra pixel widths are showing at the the bottom of the popup (see attached screenshot)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

KR
  • lauram
    lauram Community Member Posts: 149
    Hi Kenny,

Within the action's properties that opens the pop-up window, you'll need to check a few things.

First, go into the New Window Properties, and you will probably want to increase the window size to account for scroll bars instead of using the Default Size. You may also just want to turn off scrollbars completely by selecting No Scrollbars.

Second, within the action's properties, check the Scroll To setting. We've recently discovered an issue where setting the Scroll To to something other than Top of Page can affect the formatting of the Lightbox style pop-up in IE only. If you're OK displaying the entire page as a pop-up, then change the Scroll To back to Top of Page if it isn't set already.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Laura
  • kennyr
    kennyr Community Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks Laura - your suggestions have resolved our Lightbox issue.

Kenny