Resetting Check Boxes

wkiernan
wkiernan Community Member Posts: 17

You have a couple of issues here - a) how to get the message to show and b) how to reset the check boxes. This is intermediate level Lectora stuff. Here goes.

a) How to get the message to show
An HTML page is static. You can't put actions on a text box to have it show when you change something else on the screen. The actions on the text box only fire when it is either shown or when clicked. So, you have to put these actions somewhere else.

You will have to be testing for which check boxes are set and which are not. The answer variable in Lectora questions contains the text you entered in the wizard. If you try testing for that text it can be a very laborious task.

If it were me I would change the approach to the question like this. First copy all the answer choices and put them in ONE SINGLE text box with a blank line between each one. I would then replace the answers in the wizard with a, b, c, d, ... Now you can easily set up conditions to see if the question variable contains a or b or c or d. ...

Now set up an action group that counts the number of incorrect answers. If more than the desired number, show the text box. To get this action group to run, you have to do one of two things: Either put these actions on a Check Answer button or open the properties of each check box and on the On Select/Change tab set it to run the action group. These actions look like this.
Modify Variable; Target: count; Value 0; Type: Set
Modify Variable; Target: count; Value 1; Condition: Question_xxxx contains a; Type: Add
Modify Variable; Target: count; Value 1; Condition: Question_xxxx contains b; Type: Add
Modify Variable; Target: count; Value 1; Condition: Question_xxxx contains c; Type: Add
Show; Target: text box; Condition: count > 3

b) Reset Checkboxes.
With Lectora X this is easy as all you do is
Modify Variable; Target: temp; Value: (leave blank)
Change Contents: Target: Question; Value: temp

For Lectora 9 you have a much more complicated solution involving refreshing the page. Please email me at [email protected] to set up a time to call on the phone and discus this.