Setting Default Screen Size

ron
ron Community Member Posts: 94

Hi Ron and Merry Christmas,

Think of your screen's display resolution as the total canvas area that you can paint on in pixels. At 1024 x 768, you have an area consisting of 1024 pixels across, by 768 pixels high. Your course title takes up a portion of this area, the exact amount depending on the size set in Lectora's "Page Size in Screen Pixels" setting under the title Properties.

Say, for instance, you have a Lectora template at a setting of 785 x 600. When displayed on a screen resolution of 1024 x 768, there's going to be unused screen area outside the title because it only occupies 785 x 600 pixels of the canvas. Theoretically, you would have 239 pixels left over outside the area horizontally, and 168 pixels left over vertically. The key thing to remember is that the amount of pixels occupied by your title remains fixed, based on your title properties. As Ben already pointed out, your title does not adjust to screen resolution settings.

Once you determine the designated screen resolution, you work from there to decide the best course size. Although Lectora offers some fixed-size templates, you may need to revise one of them or build your own to get optimum sizing. Some things to keep in mind:

»Start with an architectural review. Determine the size of the "stage" window that your course displays in. Ours runs in browser kiosk mode, thus eliminating all nav buttons, so we get more room for the course. If you have to display in a browser window where the buttons are displayed, they will take up some of the screen canvas and you have to account for that. For us, a template of 970 x 620 seems to work well with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.

»Use a screen ruler to measure what's taken and what you've got left to work with. Remember that even the Windows task bar takes up screen space, whether it's at the bottom or side of the screen.

»Do some trial and error with a blank template first to ensure good displayability before creating your course assets. A larger template allows the use of larger pix and fonts, which are easier on the eyes.

Hope this helps.

Ron said:

Hello All,

Merry Christmas!

Deciding on what to set my default screen size to when creating a course. I want the displayed course to take up as much of the screen as possible without requiring scrolling (either horizontal or vertical). I would say that the majority of learners will be using laptops, so that would be my reference (although there will be a number using desktops with bigger screens - so I'm trying to find a happy medium).

I read some of the threads and tried different sizes. What I noticed was that when I changed the size from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 (or higher), the screen size changed but the actual course size displayed on the screen stayed the same. For example, at 800 x 600, there is no white space around the course and the course is centered. However, as I increase the resolution, the white rectangle gets bigger, the course display stays the same size and it is now justified to the top, left corner.

Any suggestions?