Setting Default Screen Size

ron
ron Community Member Posts: 94

Our historical attitudes towards screen resolution and optimum course size (related but not the same thing) are largely predicated on a history of a 4:3 aspect ratio for display. As with televisions, computer display technology is quickly moving towards a 16:9 aspect ratio--laptop and desktop alike.

With that said, my vote goes towards designing for a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels because I feel it gives optimum balance of display area for images and other content in your title, while merging with most users' display technologies. Of course, companies sometimes dictate a lower resolution to best fit aging technology, so you don't have much choice there. For what it's worth, we offer courseware to audiences in both companies and the private sector, and we don't get complaints about 1024 x 768. Just my $0.02.

Good luck with your projects!

Ron said:

Hello All,

Merry Christmas!

Deciding on what to set my default screen size to when creating a course. I want the displayed course to take up as much of the screen as possible without requiring scrolling (either horizontal or vertical). I would say that the majority of learners will be using laptops, so that would be my reference (although there will be a number using desktops with bigger screens - so I'm trying to find a happy medium).

I read some of the threads and tried different sizes. What I noticed was that when I changed the size from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 (or higher), the screen size changed but the actual course size displayed on the screen stayed the same. For example, at 800 x 600, there is no white space around the course and the course is centered. However, as I increase the resolution, the white rectangle gets bigger, the course display stays the same size and it is now justified to the top, left corner.

Any suggestions?