BMPs and WAVs work better in 2008 & up

rhall01
rhall01 Community Member Posts: 105
I thought I'd post this tip and see if anyone disagreed. This tip is only confirmed with html/SCORM/AICC publish.Tip? Use uncompressed files such as .bmp and .wav and your published product will have smaller and higher quality compressed images and audio files than if you had compressed the images and audio files yourself (.jpg, .gif, .png, .mp3).I was rushed on a project and used .bmp files exclusively throughout the page turner project (in fact, I just copied and pasted from MS Clip Art to Lectora, so a .bmp was created). I then resized the images to the size I wanted inside of Lectora - I did not edit the actual size of the files.I also recorded audio on every page, using Audacity, and I exported the files to .wav as it was easier than exporting to .mp3, which is what I normally do.I published to html and the compression settings were to compress the audio and image files. What I found interesting is that the images converted to a smaller file size than they would have if I had saved them to a .jpg then imported to Lectora, and there was no pixelization. No converted image was larger than 15k, although the original .bmps ranged from 300K to 5MB. Similarly, the .wav files converted to a smaller size and better sound quality than the .mp3s that I typically create myself. The largest .wav was 3.3MB and converted to 248K as an .flv file.I have found similar conversion properties with Captivate being able to create smaller files with uncompressed originals. Moral of the story? Use uncompressed large files to create a smaller, better product. Nice job Lectora. Does anyone have a similar or opposite experience?Edited By: rhall01 on 2009-1-20 12:21:3